Need Advice !! Is it worth to upgrade Lowrance units ??

tizfun

Hi there all, here is my question or a couple of them.. I now currently have the Lowrance LCX-28c HD on the console and the Lowrance X102c on the bow ... These units came with the boat I bought and work very well..

I went looking for the navionics chip and wanted the gold because it had Kawartha Lakes and Georgian Bay.. It's $200.00 or more... Wanted to change out the transducer as the previous owner mounted it in the hull.. Used a transom mount as a thru hull... $129.00 for the ducer..

So do I spend the extra coin on the chip and transducer, or just sell them and go with the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI or better ? I'm more leaning towards selling as I did the teaser and went to Bass Pro and looked at the new unit... Very nice, but is it worth revamping, rewiring the boat... ?? Does anyone have one of these units ?? Good/Bad ???

So If I sell, what's a fair price for the units ? I want to give someone a good deal, but I also don't want to give them away? Happy we'll all be....

Any tips. would be appreciated....

Merry Christmas to you all... Safe and Happy New Years !!!

Cheers,

Tizz / Bill

Ya think it's a downgrade ? How ? As for adding a chip, the Elite 7 Gold pkg come with the navionics gold chip...The HDS 7 touch doesn't... I'm kinda looking at the down imaging and side scan that I don't have which impresses me... Either the elite or the touch.... If I do this, I want it right the first time and no more changes for some time.... ya right !!

Mike - I'm so listening to your words of "it if it ain't broke... Don't fix it"..

Tiz

I went through the same decision process, ultimely after doing a little research, I bought the elite 7....wrong choice....... the elite 7 has the same sonar capabilities as the hds 7.....same peak to peak power etc....big difference is in mapping/gps, although the elite 7 has a "gold chip", it does not and cannot read the gold card to the full capabilities, the elite series units have less than a 1/3 of the detail of the actual gold cards....ie on the Niagara bar, the hds unit reads 33 contour lines on the drop off from 50 to 220feet....the same card on an elite unit reads 5 contour lines....same detail issues on lake erie.....the base lowrance hard drive map has more detail than the gold chip map......I have called lowrance and navionics about this.....it is not the chips...it is the ability of the unit to process the chip....this was supposed to be fixed with software version 1.8 to read the 1ft contour details......but it is not fixed....go with the hds unit

Edited by moemoe

Also look for the navionics +. This chip will allow you to download the areas you select upto a predetermined amout of data so you can better customize the area you get for where you fish. They come with the standard gold data because of certian technicalities but are upgrade to the 1ft contours when you do the first update. Talk to the guys from navionics at the shows for more info, my information may be a little off.