Snowshoeing Sled Help

brookieman

Hey guys, need some help. I'm looking at buying a Jet Sled this week and modifying it so I can carry all my gear on backcountry snowshoeing trips. I saw one a while back that had PVC piping attached to the rope holes, which then attached to a waist harness. The concept being that while moving on declines, the pvc would keep the sled well spaced instead of cutting you down from the knees. Does anyone have any plans on how to do this or have a picture of one. Thanks

Its called a pulk, and it works great. You buy any kids sled you like that fits your need, add some stainless cleats or hoops for tie downs, and a couple of tie points to the front on each side.

Buy two six foot pvc pipes, one inch I.D. Run some good rope through it, and put stainless clips on them on each end. Makes for easy disconnecting of the pulk.

Make a harness for your body of some sort, or if your pack already has the D rings, then you are good to go.

CROSS the pvc pipes when hooking them to your waist or pack, so that the pulk stays centred going around corners.

The reason for the pvc pipe, as you mentioned, is so that the pulk does not run you over going downhill, lol.

And be sure to use some ski poles when trekking with it , need them for going uphill, and downhill control.

Do a search for pulks on google, lots of good info to be found.

Edited by tjsa