Revo Premier spinning reels...

DropShot'r

Hello to everyone.

I plan on getting a new dropshot rod and reel for next year. The rod I have chosen is a Dobyns Extreme 742, the reel I have not decided on yet.

I was curious if any of the board members have had any experience with Abu Garcia Revo spinning reels, especially the Premier. Any feed back positive or negative will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I'd also like to know the experiences of any members with this reel. Other than handling it in stores, it seems like an elite level reel comparable to the shimano sustain.... Looks great as well. I got one ordered so I'm basically taking a stab in the dark with this one, but I'm getting tired with shimano and looking to get back with Abu Garcia for the 14' fishing season.

I had to check this reel out after you posted this... sorry, a junkie...

So I looked on http://www.etackle.ca/abu-garcia-revo-premier-spinning-reel/ and from the looks of it I LIKE it. But I would have to get rid of that EVA handle. I had Shimano Ci4 and sold it ASAP because I just didn't like the feel. I am however VERY happy with my Shimano Stradic FJ 2500 on my DS rod.

Bought the 30 size reel on sale for less than $200 at the beginning of the year.

I've used it for heavier applications, MH plastic frogs, chucking spoon for Salmon.

Pros:

- Light weight, solid construction

- spare aluminum spool (not as shiny as the default spool, but a spare spool is hard to come by now a days)

- Brandon P. of Bassmaster Elite series dropshotted with the Premier 20 size to win the St.Lawrence Showdown. Getting 20lb+ Great Lake Smallies for 4 straight days.

- Bob Izumi switched to Abu Garcia, and I'm sure he's still catching just as many fish. :)

Cons:

- the smoothness seem to lose quickly when compare to similar Shimano or Daiwa reels. (probably needs lubrication)

- hard to switch handles, this could be an advantage.

A more durable design; not having to worry about the handle knob getting lose and potentially losing parts on the water.

- the spool rim, which aids casting distance doesn't seem to be as great as the Shimano Propulsion Spool Lip design.

I don't see a great amount of value this reel has over Shimano Ci4 or similar Daiwa model.

I'm never a fan boy for any particular brand. If you are on the market for a new drop shot reel, I would definitely look into Shimano Ci4 (1st generation) that's being discontinued and on sale.

Feel free to PM, if you have any specific questions.

Cheers

only speaking relating to the Ci4, if you ever used a Ci4 for fish that pull (I used a pair of 4000's for kings) as well as a 2500 for bass, the "neck" would constantly flex....

when I broke my nrx on a cane grass fish I swore my Ci4 was going to break first...(something had to give ....unfortunately it was the rod).

if you are planning on using the Ci4 for anything that really pulls, i'd suggest waiting for the Ci4+. Appears to be much more solid (less flex) than the Ci4.

Thanks for all the feedback. I love my Abu Garcia baitcasters, but I have also been a Shimano spinning reel guy. Was trying to decide if I wanted to go Abu all the way. I'm still not convinced Abu spinning is the way to go. I suspect I will have a Gen2 Ci4 on the Dobyns DX for next year.

sorry we didn't get the chance to get out.

No problem my friend, there will be next year.