Musky Hunters Advice?

benzumi

Hey guys,

I've been away from this forum way too long. Was a member since 2006, and I guess just haven't kept up with it up until now! I've been fishing for over 25 years. The one fresh water fish that eludes me to this day is the infamous Musky. I don't normally target this species, but I've run into the occasional ski, top watering for bass and pike. It seems like every time I have one of these guys on my line, I'm not properly outfitted to bring them in. Either that or I'm just very unlucky/unskilled. I've had a couple decent ones close to the boat, but still unable to land one. At this point in time, I would be overjoyed just to catch a 25"er. :) I'm normally doing a lot of top water fishing along the weed lines. Only the last couple years have I invested in a more heavy duty stiff rod, with a decent shimano calcutta, 30lb braid, and longer leeders.

So my question is, what is the best way to target this species, time of year, time of day? Is there any particular lake that has more of this species? From what I know, Scugog, Chemong, Sturgeon have a pretty good amount of them swimming around. I usually fish the French River once a year. I've had a few there too but still nothing landed. Again, any type of advice is much appreciated. I know its really late in the year, but even if its a next year thing any knowledge is great.

Ben

I'm definitely not an expert, I did go through a muskie phase for a few years though,

if you're just looking to get one in the boat, the Kawarthas or Haliburton would be a better bet than the French or G Bay, the latter 2 are more quality less quantity

I would say the mid to late summer would be easier than the fall, often in the fall the shallows are void of life and you have to look a little deeper

best bet- mid August, Kawartha Lk, black buck tail spinner, basically fish like you're going for bass with a little faster retrieve, weed lines and weed pockets, it's not really rocket science

First I would upgrade your line to 80 pound to help with breakoff's mainly during backslashes on a cast.

Get yourself a good bolt cutters 8 inch Canadian tire sells them on sale around five dollars all the time. Large Jaw spreaders in case you have a deeply hooked Fish a few pair of needle nose long wires again Canadian tire has them on sale three pack all the time.

I proper net for landing fish preferably one with a deep rubber coated met with small mesh.

As for time of the year on the kawartha Lakes late summer through September does produce numbers of fish finding Rockpile's with weed beds close by is a good start or working deeper holes adjacent to weed beds or shallow water that holds baitfish is a good area.

For top water I really like the top raider for prop beats are there are many walk the dog style baits I'm not a fan of them but others do really well

I would suggest getting a hold of some double 10 in-line bucktails large spinner baits 9 inch model sledges And bulldogs or 11 inch tubes that should give you a good variety for casting.

First I would upgrade your line to 80 pound to help with breakoff's mainly during backslashes on a cast.

Get yourself a good bolt cutters 8 inch Canadian tire sells them on sale around five dollars all the time. Large Jaw spreaders in case you have a deeply hooked Fish a few pair of needle nose long wires again Canadian tire has them on sale three pack all the time.

I proper net for landing fish preferably one with a deep rubber coated met with small mesh.

As for time of the year on the kawartha Lakes late summer through September does produce numbers of fish finding Rockpile's with weed beds close by is a good start or working deeper holes adjacent to weed beds or shallow water that holds baitfish is a good area.

For top water I really like the top raider for prop beats are there are many walk the dog style baits I'm not a fan of them but others do really well

I would suggest getting a hold of some double 10 in-line bucktails large spinner baits 9 inch model sledges And bulldogs or 11 inch tubes that should give you a good variety for casting.

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to have the proper gear before I head out the next time. :) Everyone on this forum is so helpful.

best bet- mid August, Kawartha Lk, black buck tail spinner, basically fish like you're going for bass with a little faster retrieve, weed lines and weed pockets, it's not really rocket science

Not sure where you plan to fish but i did well with a black musky spinnerbait or bucktail in Kawarthas.

Mid -September to Thanksgiving was most productive period.

June was also a good period throwing/trolling black musky spinnerbait/bucktail along emerging weedlines.

Both those time periods are good in Kawarthas mainly since the boat traffic is low

In the summer the boat traffic makes it a zoo up there.

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently on shadow lake last week fishing for the elusive musky. However to my surprise I hooked into 2 nice size pike. Now I've heard pike are makng there way into the kawarthas but pike of this size is pretty concerning for our future musky fishing. I've heard of people killing the pike but when they reach this size I feel it is just cruel. Or killing any fish for that matter. But at the same time musky are hard enough to catch as it is. Hopefully these 2 species can co-exists on shadow. - very under rated lake

pike 1.jpg