what do you guys think of this pin ?

ChasinTails

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i don't know anything about but the price seems good! i have found that the brand of reel is much more forgivable than the rod. i have many friends that happily use entry level brands like okuma and catch more fish than people using much more expensive equipment. pair it with a quality rod and you'll be set.

i don't know anything about but the price seems good! i have found that the brand of reel is much more forgivable than the rod. i have many friends that happily use entry level brands like okuma and catch more fish than people using much more expensive equipment. pair it with a quality rod and you'll be set.

ill be getting a shimano clarus float rod for christmas, for now im using my spinning rod with a realllly crappy cheap pin just to learn how to fight fish

like others were saying the reel isn't the most important aspect of the setup. I was using a rapala r-type for a while and I had no problem landing kings and steelhead. you could always put new bearings in that reel if your not satisfied. yesterday I got a nice surprise for my birthday...a islander steelheader. cant wait to use it!

If I had to spend my money on an entry level centerpin, I would probably go with the new rapalas. My first choice would be the classic drifter that runs about $150-160 at lebarons, my second choice would be the rapala R type, that I think retails around $110 or $120. I own multiple float reels, and have fished many more, and the classic drifter would be my first choice based on design, startup and overall smoothness, and the price sure isn't bad!

If I were you I would get a float reel that feels good in your hands. Go to the stores and have a feel for the ones that they have within your budget. Nothing like seeing a product in person. Amundson reels are more popular out west. They are a Canadian company but their manufacturing facility is in China. I have a switch rod set up from them and I could not complain of the quality. That bring said I cant comment on the reel since I have not handled it. The most important feature, for me at least, is the start up. If it's any consolation, it's hard to find float reels nowadays that has a bad start up. Start up and spin time are not one and the same. A reel that does not spin that long does not necessarily mean it has a bad start up. Fit, finish, weight its all subjective to what you can live with in your budget.

The reels you saw on ebay are prone to have the line stuck behind the spool according to what owners say on other forums. They aren't much better than what you presently have. If you feel strongly about buying it then go for it.

thanks i dont have a problem with the tolerances with the even cheaper one, i guess ill just see how it goes and if my budget increases later on, thanks for all the advice guys ill take it all into consideration and let you know how it goes. Cheers and Tightlines

I've used this reel before, I do a bit of field testing for Amundson. For the price its a good start getting into centerpin fishing. You won't break the bank if it's not your cup of tea. The reel spins nicely and it's fairly light but the one flaw I found is the clicker placement on the back plate. Constantly engaging while holding the reel.

They have one model higher that is better.

I've used this reel before, I do a bit of field testing for Amundson. For the price its a good start getting into centerpin fishing. You won't break the bank if it's not your cup of tea. The reel spins nicely and it's fairly light but the one flaw I found is the clicker placement on the back plate. Constantly engaging while holding the reel.

They have one model higher that is better.

thanks, ill have to see in person to make sure but i will keep that in mind