Fly fishing Muskies

esoxansteel

musky fishing can be a challenging sport at times, doing it with a fly rod triples the challenge, i always take the conventional gear with me, but find myself pitching 6 to 14 inch chunks of hair, hackle and flash trying to coax a strike from a musky, with the warmer temps, water temp was 61 degrees, fish were still relating to weeds, weed clumps, and also the first break. Had 4 fish interested in the fly, 3 on figuer 8s at boatside, and 1 large fish picked up the fly about 65 ft out, and swam with the fly towards the boat, i tried strip setting 5 times but the fish was always moving towards the boat faster then the sets, and basically never even felt the attempted hook sets, and when the fish got to the boat just spit the fly, with the clear water i could see the hole show, which was cool too see, tomorrows another day, with a front coming through, and another go at it,

That is awesome I have been thinking of getting into this for some extra fun it sure does seem to be a awesome thing to do. I loved fishing for bass trout pike with the fly years ago so musky will be cool

You have them dialed in casting Mike, it would certainly be a viable option for you, especially on Musky rich LSC, they love your Handlebarz on LSC, so flies with lots of flash would be the way to go.

That is cool. Will give your casting hand a good workout casting squirrel sized streamers thats for sure lol

Let us know how you do on the next try. Good luck

Absolutely a workout, which is another reason to give the conventional tackle a try, just to give your arms a rest. Recently the fish have shown a preference for the smaller 7 to 8 inch streamers,(easier on the arms) instead of the tandem hook 14 inchers i make as well. For anyone interested in this, Icelandic sheep hair is really soft and pulses like maraboo steelhead flies when twitched, over the standard course Yak hair i usually use to get the 10 to 14 inch streamers, much cheaper on the wallet then the sometimes hard to get Yak hair as well.

Nothing makes the knees buckle like a musky chasing your fly, and taking it to boot!

I've been doing the same for quite a while now. I do small water though....rivers. We should consider a musky trip swap next season man!

I'd have to agree with the icelandic sheep material. Nothing better.

I posted this a while back, but here it is again just for kicks....