Which winch for Honda ATV?

captpierre

Picking up the Honda 420 PG CTE in Lindsay next week.

Thought I should get a winch. Will likely do a little plowing in the future .

They are wanting $680 to install a Warn 2500lb winch.

Seems like a lot of $.

CT has a Superwinch LT2500 for $130 on sale. Gotta get a mounting kit for about $70-80.

Will take a couple hours to install. Can do myself.

What should I do?

ATV virgin.

Superwinches are OK, and if your doing some light plowing it will work fine. If your plowing a massive driveway, and the blade is going to be up and down constantly, then your going to do your neighbors driveway etc. plus go mudding, and need to extricate yourself often, then go with the warn. I have a warn 2500 on my machine, and its great but I've owned the cheapy superwinches before and can't say I've had one go bad on me, mind you I'm don't use my winch heavily. Usually its the actuator that fries not the winch itself. And realistically you can replace your superwinch 3 times for that coin! My 2 cents!

Edited by porkpie

Warn is the way to go, especially the newer units that are totally sealed. They're proven to be the most reliable long term for those who use their winches often and hard. You'll definitely want to go with synthetic rope as well as it's lighter, is not dangerous like steel when it breaks, and you'll never have to worry about metal slivers.

Royal Distributing lists the provantage (better one) with steel at $412 and synthetic at $532. But, many places offer 55' of synthetic for $50 shipped or cheaper making it $462+ tax. Buying from the US is your best route.

Also, the only difference between the 2500lb and 3000lb warn winches is the size of the cables running from the battery to solenoid. Therefore, by switching from 8 gauge to 6 g wire you'll have another 500lbs of pulling force.