Three Generation Fishing Report - Sept 30 & Oct 1, 2013

superdad

We had planned a trip in mid September for a return visit to Merland Park, like we had done in 2012; but, unforeseen circumstances in scheduling caused us to forego a 2013 Merland trip.

My Dad (RedcapBert) really to fish another time with me and my son, so we talked and were able to come up with a compremise that would get us fishing together.

The plan came together on Monday when Dave arr'd from Toronto and the three of us headed for Hay Bay, with stops at No Frills and LCBO!!!!!!

We got our gear set after arrival at Hay Bay and hit the water at 1115 fishing the waters of Shermans Point, (where I been assured there was fish there and my sources hit six on Sunday!!!) Trolled deep and shallow but NADA..... So we fired the big motor and headed for Mallory, but on the way, we had a change of plans and made the long troll from Q6 buoy right into Perch Cove.

We fished the 10-12' levels combatting the weeds all the time. Finally, one of the weeds fought back and I was into a nice walleye, Dave did the net and we weren't skunked with a 19 inch fish.

We weaved in and out of the weeds and then RedCapBertcied says 'Fish ON'. He brought the beast and into the net - MR PIKE.. Oh well it was 25 inches long and put up a good fight and was released.

All the while when fighting the weeds, we were fighting the small fish....Perch, Rock Bass, LM Bass, Sunfish, that made seven different species landed. We were always busy..

Just before we called it quits, I had another strike in 9 feet of water and brought a nice 17 incher to the net, My grandsons would have a feed of walleye - that's a good thing!!

Back to Hay Bay at 1500 and took a break for several hours before we decided to try again and instead of running 4 or 5 miles, thought we would try the shoals in front of Bayview Resort.

Trolled from 1700 hours, landing a couple of 10" walleyes and thinking our day was closing, we headed to the dock taking a final troll over the shoal, when Redcap yells "Big Fish ON" - the fish was taking line and putting up a terrific effort. Our thoughts drifted to a big Sheepshead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as the fish neared the boat, I saw a swirl and said "No Sheepshead here". I slid the net under a really nice 23 inch fish, tipped the scales at an even 4 lbs.

IMG_1548-Bert-4lber-4x6_zps8caff321.jpg

That made the day and everyone felt really good. Steaks on the Barby and a bottle of wine and a dram of Whisky - couldn't get any better.

On Tuesday, the 1st, we had time restraints and before we cast off, Dave took a photo of the Superdad at the dock, you can see how low the water is and is dropping more each day......

IMG_1550-SuperdadattheDock-4x6-titled_zp

We headed over to the Old Chruch area and trolled the 10-12 foot levels. Near the end of the first trolling pass, Redcap hooks a fish coming off a dropoff into 14 feet of water. A nice 18 incher.

We trolled downwind past the launch ramp and were heading for headed for the big weedbed just east of the Old Church, when Redcap says he has fish. Sure enough he reeled in MR Sheepshead, the one species we hadn't seen for some time.

Dave was busy doing something and had his rod in the rod-holder watchng the perch taps and the weeds, when suddenly, the weeds weren't releasing the lure. He grabs the rod and has a fish on. He's using his ultra light rod and he's having troubles. He slowly gains control and brings the fish to the surface and I slip the net under the fish and he's ours. This one is a healthy 20 inches and is exactly 3 lbs. It's ihis first of season - we're really happy,happy,happy.

IMG_1552-Dave-Bert-4x6_zps8ac7fd33.jpg

Got the boat out and the gear stashed and our gear packed and into the Explorer to head home. Made it back to town with lots of time to spare and dropped Bert, took Dave to the Train Station and called it a day.

The final results were, landed seven walleye, countless numbers of some good sized perch and a plethora of other fish. We had a good time with good company and as a family shared the joy of fishing.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad

PS Began the MNR Fall Fish count.

PPS - Learned from a impecable source about a double digit walleye bring caught and released on Monday. They're coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!