Stripping fly reel

Christopheraaron

As some of you know I lost the spool to my centrepin last month, and since then have been trying to replace it. I don't have the cash to get a true pin right now, but was considering converting a fly reel. I've found a couple reels at a decent price that are big enough to use, but before I commit I want to know what the process is for stripping a reel down. So can any of you who have done this explain exactly how much work is involved? Thanks!

Smooth drag? Or smooth free spool? A spinning reel spool can be "palmed" for drag and use an open bail for the drift. A baitcaster can be thumbed and the cast control can be backed off and the line fed by hand. Neither are as good as a float reel but I would think both might be better then buying a fly reel and converting it.

Smooth drag? Or smooth free spool? A spinning reel spool can be "palmed" for drag and use an open bail for the drift. A baitcaster can be thumbed and the cast control can be backed off and the line fed by hand. Neither are as good as a float reel but I would think both might be better then buying a fly reel and converting it.

Chris.

The combo I just bought,was for those colder days and I can get away with wearing mittens. Long river rod with a nice smooth ABU bait caster. I know it will work well. Been watching alot of the west coast you tube stuff. Thats why I bought it..

This combo is lighter then I thought. Cant wait to use it.

Havn't done that, but for a nice free running reel you have to modify the ball bearing...

I bought last year a similar cp like this, including shipping it was ~ 50 CAD. Very nice reel!

http://www.fishingrepublic.org/product_info.php?products_id=23253

Since the CAD is lower now it will be a litte bit more expensive.

It looks good, any chance you can post a video of how easily it spins?

With regards to your question fly reels esp. The cheaper ones don't use the same bearings than the ones used on a float reel. The one I had used roler bearings (dowels) housed in a plastic case. So you might have to bore out the journal to accomodate the appropriate bearings. I did not measure so I am only guessing youll have to. If your lucky and they have the right kind of bearing you can modify or change them. So could be a lot of work and not nbe as good as the real thing. Looks like Bluegill got the solution for you. I'd look into used cp and see what you can dig up.

Edited by spinnerdoc

I'm looking at the TFG classic centrepin, Theseus Elegance centrepin, and I have an offer from another OFC member. Also going to call Angling Outfitters tomorrow and ask what they have. If anyone else has a suggestion for a very low budget option I'm all ears, thanks for the help everyone!