Taking off optimax prop

landry

Got a ton of braid in my prop thanks to some donkey today.

I have never removed my prop on my 2007 optimax. I am assuming it is easy and I think it is a 1-1/16 socket.

It says to tighten to 55lbs. Do I need a torque wrench or can I just tighten without one????

Need some help and want to do this before Monday.

Thanks.

Landry.

Very simple.. Remove the cotter pin, then the castle nut and it should slide right off. 55lbs isn't a crazy amount of torque. If you don't have a torque wrench just mark the nut and the shaft and line them up when you re-install. The hole in the castle nut will make it even easier. Should be simple to line up.

Doubt it has a cotter pin Bill.

Most likely has a retention washer with 2 tabs that need to be either be bent up if it has the notched nut or down if it has the regular nut.

Once the tabs have been bent out of the way wedge a 2x4 between the cavitation plate and prop to hold it in position while removing the nut and retention washer.

Remove the prop.

Reverse the process to re-install.

As Bill said use a sharpie and mark the nut so you can get it tightened back up to the correct spot if you don't have a torque wrench.

Dave's got it... the Opti runs the same props and assembly as the Verado.

...and by the way, that prop should come off every year to check for line, corrosion, relube of splines and back together. I have to do that anyhow on the Verado as the drain plug for the lower unit is behind the prop.

Edited by irishfield