French River (Wolseley Bay area) - advice

sneak_e_pete

They have Wi-fi now, for which there is a charge to use. (Harold actually enters the password for you - in your device).

Seriously ? That's kinda bush league.

Lakair may have spotty coverage in the back 40 but at least they don't charge for it and it's a good excuse to hang out in the office and listen to Leslie and Kevin talk about their winter geology work ;)

Seriously ? That's kinda bush league.

Lakair may have spotty coverage in the back 40 but at least they don't charge for it and it's a good excuse to hang out in the office and listen to Leslie and Kevin talk about their winter geology work ;)

Yup. I think it was like 10.00 for the week. Other places that I stay don't

charge the guests. Even before I got my I-pad, Leslie let me use their computer any time I wanted - same at Rainbow Camp. Even on holiday, I still have to keep tabs on things back home at work. So I really appreciated that

When I talked to Harald about the buffet and told him that we really enjoyed it. He went into a long response that there was only enough people for one sitting and he couldn't afford to pay a chef full time and his exact words were 'I'm not running a charity'. We ended up reserving for the fish fry at 5pm, we were not served until 6:30 pm....every other guest was served before us. I won't be going back...sorry. Bryer and Lochaven only for me now.

We had a good time up there, mainly because of the group of guys we met. Like I said, its a prime spot, but thats about all it has going for it. The updates he is doing is not adding to the accomodations. But he is re-shingling the roofs and building huge party decks on almost all the cabins. Still plywood walls and floors inside.

I find Harold difficult to talk to and a bit condicending. He likes to joke, but at your expense and has little to give back. The other group we met ran into and issue with the docking. They paid for a boat slip with power, but they didnt have enough space at the dock. It wasnt a big boat but Harold didnt want to move any boats to the other side. It took the entire day for Harold to finally move a boat so the other guys could park and charge their batteries. But not until he went into a rant about being too busy to look after the little problems.

As for fishing, the pike seemed to be over running the prime muskie spots for whatever reason. We caught about 35 pike on large baits, and managed about 15 muskie follows. We only got one fish in the net (a 43"er) in the last 30 minuted before we had to leave for home; so that saved the trip. But I have a sour taste in my mouth after loosing what would have been my new PB muskie boatside on thursday evening. I have caught enough 50" fish in my day to know this fish was well over that. That one is still an ouchy.

Edited by F_ast

I was with a large group, between 40-50 at Wolseley Lodge 2 years ago...Everyone felt they were treated badly! I have never seen such bad treatment of guests anywhere.

We now go to Totem Point.

Harold did say that the large muskieCanada group is still going to stay at his place. We talked about it the first day we were there. Maybe he is confussed or maybe someone else changed their minds on the accomodations?

Harold did say that the large muskieCanada group is still going to stay at his place. We talked about it the first day we were there. Maybe he is confussed or maybe someone else changed their minds on the accomodations?

There's no Muskies Canada groups staying at Wolseley Lodge, I can tell you that.

Interesting that outta 15 follows, only one fish committed.

Were they aggressive follows or only out for a look ??

Had a few instances where the muskie would follow to the boat inches from the lure and litterally bump the lure from behind mouth closed. I would say about 5 encounters like that. All on different spots. Mainly 30-40" fish. Another boat we met up with said they saw that too... kind of stumped.

The rest of the follows were all early morning; fish were fast at the lure by late on it then seemed to shy away from the boat. Between 7-8:30am. I chaulked it up to just missing a feeding window, but really not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

When I talked to Harald about the buffet and told him that we really enjoyed it. He went into a long response that there was only enough people for one sitting and he couldn't afford to pay a chef full time and his exact words were 'I'm not running a charity'. We ended up reserving for the fish fry at 5pm, we were not served until 6:30 pm....every other guest was served before us. I won't be going back...sorry. Bryer and Lochaven only for me now.

Dear Balsam Laker,

The Wolseley Lodge is sorry and we like to apologize that you didn't get served in a reasonable timeframe. Due to the changes in our Restaurant/Dining room we made the error to have a free fish fry for our Camp guest from 5-6pm on Sundays and open the Restaurant for reservations from 5-8pm, As we like to cook everything fresh we couldn’t keep up to serve all of the customers at the same time. We changed the time for the restaurant to 6-8pm and the free fish fry for our camp guest stays at 5-6pm.

"Open Restaurant"

The Wolseley Lodge was the last Lodge on the French River & Area which operated an open Restaurant for the public, why did other Lodges closed that service many years earlier....?

I’m a friend of a clear word and we don’t have to hide anything and are willing to answer questions of our customers.

Operating an open Restaurant was a big commitment on our side to offer an extra service for many customers in the area. It involves not only a Chef on payroll, we hat 2 cooks, 2 waitresses and a helper for the busy times (+ 3 more fir the buffet night). Over the last 2-4 years the economy dried out and we had an average of 5-15 meals a day in the Restaurant besides the Fri-buffet. We had to change the business, we didn’t like it but it was not feasible to operate the Restaurant, and we don’t like to hear that from a bank manager when it is to late.

On this topic I express several times that a Lodge is a business and not a charity, and my apologies if this offended you.

It bugs us a lot that we had to do these changes, but I guess many people have experiences similar situations over the 5 years in this kind of resession.

We are still offering for The Wolseley Lodge guests our All Inclusive “American Plan” 7 days a week and for our Housekeeping guest the Dining room is available on reservation only Thursday – Sunday.

I would like to ask everyone to come forward with a concern/request at the time you are at the Lodge, and we will try the best to find a solution. Please keep in mind owners like us are running 14-16h 7 days/week from May - October and we are only humans.

Harald Lutte

Wolseley Lodge

I was with a large group, between 40-50 at Wolseley Lodge 2 years ago...Everyone felt they were treated badly! I have never seen such bad treatment of guests anywhere.

We now go to Totem Point.

Dear Pigeontroller,

Yes you are right 2 Chapters of Musky Canada are not staying with us anymore as a group with their outing.

(For F-Fast: I probably told you that the Musky Canada group is still staying in the Wolseley Bay area.)

The Musky Canada experience was quite interesting, we held up to our commitments and provided everything what was asking for by the Organizer.

Again we would like to ask everyone to come forward with a concern/request at the time you are at the Lodge, and we will try the best to find an explanation/solution.

Both sides learned from it and its past now.

For people not involved I would ask you to always see both sides of the coin.

Wi-Fi at Wolseley Lodge

We decided for the the 2013 season to offer include the Wi-Fi service at the Lodge without any extra charge,

and they arn't buried in other rates (rates haven't changed over the last 2 years).

We were not aware that some people have a problem that we are typing the password into their device.

We are not big cooperation with PR-management, IT-department, HR-mangament,

Plumbing/electric/septic warehouse, Marina-workshop etc......

But I have roughly 25 nails in my office wall with diff. heads and somtimes I mix them up... sorry

If i drove 5 hours towing a boat, and spent well over a thousand dollars for a fishing trip, i would be pretty ticked off not being able to charge my trolling motor batteries for next days outing. Especially if i booked a dock with power... Nevermind being given attitude and made feel like i was inconveniencing the lodge for my request. If you ask me, those are not little things to be bothered with considering its a "fishing lodge". One that a lot of people save up for one year or more in order to afford. Really cant see the other side of the coin on this one. Sorry...

I'm sorry, but I've never been here, but from the OFC reviews and response from the lodge owner, I'd have to say that this place needs to rethink their strategy on how to service their customers better, plain and simple.

My advice to the owner would be to visit a resort like taboo or deerhurst - see how they cater to their clients - this is the attitude and professionalism your customers expect when doling our the greenbacks for a vacation. Most of your customers are professionals, have the moolah to spend, and just want a decent time. If you have a problem with recognizing who your market is, and have trouble servicing them, then perhaps you should exit the business.

Good luck.

Edited by Chotchkies House

That is the worst PR response I have ever seen.

Apologizing while justifying your actions is the worst way to make amends or get new customers. It sent red flags up for me.

Yea, and it latterly goes down hill from there. A family member warned me about the new owners of Wolseley Lodge (specifically Harold) and basically said 'watch your back'. The previous owners of Wolseley Lodge were great according to my friend as well.

I've stayed at a hand full of lodges over the years and never saw such bad owner interaction to date. I personally didn't have any direct run in's with Harold, but those around me did and I saw it first hand. The food was ok until some stuff ran out, beer ran out and the cottage we stayed in was crampt and water stunk like sulphur (needless to say, I didn't shower all weekend).

The following year I stayed at Totem Point and it was like haven and I would go back without question. Tonnes of food, large cottages, great owner hospitality and a warm shower!