Lower Niagara Shore Fishing

Tim Mills

I fished The Glen area last Wed morning for a couple of hours before going to Rochester to pick up a Scanoe. Some pictures:

IMG149_zps2f3e3a45.jpg

The fishing started off well. Nothing huge but very strong fish and fun to fight in the current. I lost a larger fish and had a couple big followers. I was surprised by the number of rising fish- they were everywhere. I only had one top water plug and could not get any takers on it.

IMG150_zps02775424.jpg

This always seems to happen when the fish are biting.

IMG151_zpsa4136ba5.jpg

The funny thing was that after working out this birds nest a SM was on the end of my line.

IMG152_zps14cf9f8e.jpg

IMG153_zpsd7e6a225.jpg

The walk up and out.

IMG148_zps06042097.jpg

16ft. Scanoe

IMG160_zps50185111.jpg

Can't wait to go back.

Nice, I'm lazy and fish it from the US side, lol.

LOL, Good idea, I may try that myself haha.

I seriously have NO luck down there, if it wasn't for the hike and scenery, I wouldn't even bother going to try anymore.

3 way rig with a 1/2oz pencil weight is the way to go down there.

Thanks for the tip, I never use 3 way rigs, but I will take your advice and give it a shot next week, i'd be happy to land the smaillies that finesse fan did down there as opposed to my usual skunking.

Whats with the registry number on a canoe?

Cool pics.

Birds nest.NASTY.

I bought it in Rochester off Craigslist. I took the numbers off when I got home. As a side note when I got there I asked the guy for a bill of sale and the title. He gives me the bill of sale that he got when he bought the canoe last Sept. from his buddy. He never changed the title it was still in his buddy's name. So if I would have gotten a new bill of sale from him it would not have matched name on the title. So I took my chances at the border...When the border guy asked me how I paid for the canoe I said I mailed cash last sept and was unable to pick up the canoe until now. He looks at me like I'm an idiot then goes to see his supervisor. He comes back and says go pay the cashier $30.00 on I'm on my way. Lucky.

The mono I had on that reel was getting low. So I put some 20lb fleuro I had lying around on over it. I liked the way it performed and used it for a week without issues. Had 2 more birds nests but eventually adjusted it and it casted fine after that.

Thanks for the tip, I never use 3 way rigs, but I will take your advice and give it a shot next week, i'd be happy to land the smaillies that finesse fan did down there as opposed to my usual skunking.

I have had very little success there too in the 4 or 5 times I have fished there (Some small bass and a 24" musky broke me off). I happened to go when the fish were active/biting. A deep diving rapala blue shad rap and a white spinner bait worked well for me, I stayed in 1 bay. Bring a couple of top water lures, lots of risers when I was there.