Native reservation license???

The tides are changing.....i was fishing off Kettle Point in open water years ago and was asked by the native cops to produce a licence of which i knew nothing of...they did t charge me but did inform me that i would need one to fish where i was fishing...they have a 5 or 6 mile radius of the point....ii never persued the validity of the claim...i just didnt fish that area anymore...things are changing rapidly though..natives are requiring permits from their bands and even pay to go on Sauble beach...just like we do if they want to swim ...interesting times .....years ago we were asked to leave the salmon river mouth in Shannonville because we did t have status

i've fished the garden river from shore a few years back and a couple natives came up to me and my group of friends and told us we'd need to buy a license to fish their land. i told them i already had an ontario license. they started to get rude with me and i got rude back and they threaten to slash the tires on my truck and beat us up. before things got anymore heated we decided to leave. i went back a few more times and nobody ever bothered me again. i think its just a few natives with alot of pride trying to do this.
i was also told from a few different people that i would need one of their licenses to fish the their couple lakes on the garden river reserve and that they put some kind of gate up on the jardin mine road so you cant access reserve lake, jarvis, crooked,etc. i don't know if their is any truth to it or if i'd actually have to get a license and to be honest i really dont care. i can access those lakes from island lakes or northland anyway.
also i was told they have a gate on frater road in lake superior park?!?
i've never explored these areas because i dont want to be confronted back in the middle of nowhere. theres lots of other places to fish.
does any sault locals have any truth to this or is it just a bunch of stories to keep people away from the areas?

I have been fishing a US reservation for many years now. A reservation license is required by all non-status Indians there. I am thankful that I can fish there at all, since it wasn't many years before I started that it was illegal for any non-status Indian to fish those waters.
You be the judge. If you feel the waters offer good opportunities for exceptional fishing, then buy the license. If not stay out. Their property, their rules.
After all, although it definitely wasn't me or you, we signed a treaty that gave them that land. The least we can do is pay them their due.

Edited by floatman55