Native reservation license???

So I got stopped by "Mohawk conservation officers" the other day and was basically told I need to buy a Mohawk license on the spot or get a ticket for fishing their "territory" without a permit... They claim their territory is from Montreal to Kingston.... I asked for paperwork stating that its law to have their permit... They didn't have anything nor could they tell me where I could get it.... Nor did they show proper ID... All I got was a business card....

Anyways... Has anyone ever heard of this anywhere in Canada... Needing a special native territory license on top of a provincial license...?

The "officer" even went so far as to say If I have a reservation permit... I do NOT require any other license... And if Ontario/Quebec/NY officers give me a ticket or anything else that the mohawk conservation legal department will take the ticket to court....

It all sound like Bull to me...

I'm going to be calling the Ontario MNR this week and get it sorted out... But I'm curious if anyone else has run into this anywhere else...

Thanks

Mike

As it would be a federal matter, not provincial, talk to the RCMP in Cornwall. Could make for an interesting conversation.

The reason I say it is a federal matter, this would be one nation disputing territory rights with another nation.

I'd say you handled that about as well as you could.Sometimes those situations can turn ugly. I agree with the others that you should report that to the police. They were trying to intimidate you into buying a license to make a quick buck. The problem is, the police probably won't do anything about because they are afraid to confront natives on just about everything. Thats why these guys try this stuff.......Because they can get away with it.

Gonna be your word against theirs Mike and if you were alone in your boat with nobody else to back up your story, there probably isn't a thing the authorities can, or will do about it.

Did you think to get their boat registration numbers ??.....just a chance that they've pulled this scam before and maybe others have reported it with the numbers and the police may have it on record.

Anyways... Has anyone ever heard of this anywhere in Canada... Needing a special native territory license on top of a provincial license...?

Yes, the Garden River first nations require you to purchase a reserve license when fishing the lower end of the Mississagi river.(maybe for elsewhere in their territory as well not sure). There's a very popular waterfall right at hwy 17 that tons of people fish for pink salmon and you need a reserve license to fish it.

Let me play it out for you...

Mike: "We'll Mr. OPP officer, I was told I need to buy another license or be charged."

Officer: "That's crazy...and illegal. I'd can't wait to find them and charge them. There is nothing worse than people who fraudulently scam honest people!"

Mike: "Great! And btw,they were natives."

Officer: "Wow, look at the time!! I'm off duty soon! Hey sorry about your luck! Cya!!"

Yes, the Garden River first nations require you to purchase a reserve license when fishing the lower end of the Mississagi river.(maybe for elsewhere in their territory as well not sure). There's a very popular waterfall right at hwy 17 that tons of people fish for pink salmon and you need a reserve license to fish it.

Is that fishing open water or from shore.... It's different apparently...

From the very little information I found online... It may be a legit license and requirement IF... You are fishing from one of their islands/shore OR... Fishing IN one of the associated weed beds....

If your fishing open water or outside these said weedbeds it isn't a requirement....

This was from a local newspaper article relaying information received from a local government officials office...

Like suggested ill be talking to the RCMP and Ontario MNR and getting something in writing....

winner winner chicken dinner!!!

you got that 100% correct grimsbylander!

Let me play it out for you...
Mike: "We'll Mr. OPP officer, I was told I need to buy another license or be charged."
Officer: "That's crazy...and illegal. I'd can't wait to find them and charge them. There is nothing worse than people who fraudulently scam honest people!"
Mike: "Great! And btw,they were natives."
Officer: "Wow, look at the time!! I'm off duty soon! Hey sorry about your luck! Cya!!"

Mississagi First Nation near Blind River also on the Mississagi River requires one. I've been told fishing from shore or if you launch from their launch. If you come up river in your boat you are okay.

Thanks for the correction.

This is rediculous! First I've heard of this. If this is true then why does the Ont. regs. not state it? This plus the fact that the zone maps don't blank out reservation lands. Please report this incident and keep the rest of us informed.

Note...I just deleted all the rest of what I typed here about my feelings and thoughts in regards to the on going and never ending issues with this group of "Canadians" to keep this post from being locked down or erased!

I was trolling in the St-Regis once about 7-8 years ago and some guys showed up and asked about a Mohawk license. I had a Quebec, NY state and Ontario one as I always do. A friend of mine told me that he always gets his Mohawk license at Fence Depot now just in case. Might pick one up. I think they're 10 bucks for the year. 10 bucks is worth spending just so you can flash it and get them off your back if it does happen. One thing I've learned as I'm sure you have about fishing here...no one is quite sure who has jurisdiction over what in these waters.