Minnkota TM Universal Sonar Transducer Dead?

gburdzin

Last weekend was the first time using my trolling motor this year and I wasn't getting a depth reading from my bow mount fishfinder (Lowrance LCX-17M) connected to the Universal Sonar transducer built into the Minnkota Powerdrive trolling motor. Checked the pins on the connectors and wiring and it all seems to be ok visually.

Moved the LCX-17M to the driver's console and it was working properly with the transducer mounted on the back of the boat, so it seems the fishfinder is ok. Tried my other fishfinder (Lowrance LMS-320) on the bow and it also would not get a depth reading from the trolling motor transducer.

So it would seem that the transducer in the trolling motor is dead, or there is a problem in the wiring somewhere that's not readily visible. Is it common for these things to die? The trolling motor is only about 4-5 years old and has never been abused or crashed into anything. Is there any place I can do a continuity test on the wiring if I disassemble the head on trolling motor?

Thanks

Greg

Out of curiosity what did Minnkota's technical help-desk say when you called them? :whistling:

Believe it or not they are very helpful. ;)

They will be able to tell you how to test it and let you know if a replacement 'ducer can be ordered.

My TM is pretty easy to remove the 'ducer as there are just a few screws holding it in.

I would remove it and then test the wiring for continuity with a multimeter.

If the wiring checks out OK it's likely the 'ducer it's self.

Call Minnkota first as it only takes a few minutes of your time. :)

Found this Minkota repair manual that has some 'ducer testing info.

http://www.evin.nl/2005/interne%20links/minnkota/handleidingen/repair%20manuals/Minn%20Kota%20Universal%20Sonar.pdf

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Yeah, I found a similar repair manual online and was going to do the tests they mention to try and figure out if it's a wiring problem or really a dead transducer. The trolling motor is at the cottage right now, so I won't be able to do any tests until this weekend. I did call Aikman's to get an idea of the repair cost and it would be $300+ to get the transducer replaced. So for that kind of money I'll probably just mount a regular transducer to the motor (I think I have the original one somewhere at home) and continue to use it that way until I'm ready to buy another motor down the road.