Motor warranty

Fishboch

So my new Lund is coming up to it's first birthday soon. Received a notice in the mail from Mercury with their offer for an extended warranty. It's about $500 for a year or $1500 for four years. So my question to all new boat owners, is it worth shelling out for an extended warranty or do you feel it's just a money grab ? I know there's the piece of mind knowing you're covered in case something does go wrong but I also know many outboards run for 40 or more years without so much as a tune up required. My old 15HP that I've been running or 29 years now has never given me a problem. This is. 115 four stroke we're talking about so if something were to go wrong it could be costly but my feeling is, if something is going to go wrong it will be 5 years or more down the road after the warranty has run out anyways.

What have you new boat owners done ?

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Mercury offers a 3 year warranty and if you bought it during one of their deals they extend it to 5 years.

I would check with your dealer about the amount of warranty left on your motor. ;)

Yup. My Merc had a three year warranty.

If you are able to put $1500 aside for repairs and you don't have one in 4 years you get to spend the $1500 on whatever you want. If you buy the warranty and you don't have an issue you are out $1500.

Art