Johnson outboard starter question

Cosmos

Hi guys,

Looking to get some wise advise from knowledgeable people. I do have Johnson 2003 25 hp with electric start. Motor was running perfectly fine, until I turned plastic cap on top of the starter's pinion gear couple times preparing it to season - stupid move but I wasn't thinking that this can do something to motor at that point. Now once I am starting it - it starts fine, but that pinion gear(sorry if I am not correct) didn't go down fast enough and for 1 or 2 seconds it's making weird sound. I was trying to turn clockwise small plastic cap on top of it same one I turned originally, but I can't set it properly. Can someone, please, give me instructions how to do that? Also I would like to know if I need to lubricate shaft with spring under that plastic cap?

Thank you very much

Hopefully bernie will see this I am sure he has the answer or one of our other motor guru's we are lucky enough to have here.

Art

Thank you Art,

I really hope he sees this topic too. This problem is driving me nuts.

I don't think there is anything much under that cap but a retainer clip.

Perhaps you loosened up some dirt under it and it stuck on the starter drive. This may be preventing the starter drive from dropping back out correctly.

Spray clean it with some brake cleaner, then apply a light oil on the drive.

Thank you guys,

I am adding picture of same starter as i have to clarify things. Hope this will help.

Just want to confirm before doing something wrong. Proper way to oil it will be pull a plastic cap and clean everything from that shaft and oil it after, right?

What about that spring which is under the cap, if i am turning it clockwise or conter clockwise - i can see the difference and can hear it as well. Looks like it's not pressing to hard or does press to hard depend which direction you go. Is any way how to set it right? What kind of oil i should use?

My starter diagram: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/2003/J25ELSTA/ELECTRIC%20STARTER%20%26%20SOLENOID/parts.html

Starter.jpg