deep cycle batteries and chargers

pike slayer

i'm in the market for a new battery for my minn kota. i've had a couple different brands over the years and i did a search and i think i'm going to go with the ever start from wallys world. i've had this charger for about 8 years http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/BatteryChargers/PRDOVR~0111504P/MotoMaster+12%2B2A++Automatic+Battery+Charger+with+75A+Engine.jsp?locale=en

i seen past replies about that you need an intelligent charger to increase the life of your battery. is it worth it to get the intelligent one or is mine good enough? what do you guys recommend?

I use Everstart. I got a 650 or 700 in 2011 and I felt it was on the way out (I ran it hard, Minn Kota is my main motor for my Sportspals). Walmart tested it and said it was good but replaced it anyhow. They were out of that one so I got an upgrade to the 850 AND got $7 back due to a price drop. Warranty seems to have dropped to 1 year, though. Used to be 3 years.

Your charger seems fine to me, but I'm no expert.

Edited by Dana

I would be weiry about warranty going from 3 year to 1 year. Tells alot about how well they stand behind their product. I use 1 Interstate deep cycle to start the outboard and run trolling motor and fishfinder and am going on my 5th year with no issues. When I check the water levels, they never budge. Prompt charging after use goes a long way. I use a CTEK charger from CT. They go on sale periodically for about 40-50$.

I think an investment in one of the smart chargers is worth it. My batteries (3) are plugged in all year long and are going on their sixth year without a hiccup. I just make sure to check and top up the water level twice a year (spring and fall).