2 small outboard problems...need help

bow slayer

problem 1..I have a 1995-6 nissan 5 hp outboard. well the motor fell over and broke the shifter handle off.I need to find either a new one or scrap one to replace. Can somebody make a suggestion where in southern ontario(london) ,but i will travel to get,i would be able to find one. thanks

problem 2 my dad pick up a 1998 5 hp johnson ,he brought it over and we could not get it to start. I changed the plug put in new gas,still will not fire. Not sure if there is a spark,I pulled out plug and and tired to start and I am sure I did not see a spark. Where should I go from here. thanks.

Edited by bowslayer

Tough to see the spark sometimes, make sure it's dark. A spark doesn't always mean it will fire though.

Could be that the carborator needs to be cleaned. Have you checked the compression? Is the gas line from the tank in good shape? Is gas getting to the carborator? Those are just a couple of the things to look for at the beginning of trouble shooting.

Sorry, can't help you with the shifter.

problem 1..I have a 1995-6 nissan 5 hp outboard. well the motor fell over and broke the shifter handle off.I need to find either a new one or scrap one to replace. Can somebody make a suggestion where in southern ontario(london) ,but i will travel to get,i would be able to find one. thanks

problem 2 my dad pick up a 1998 5 hp johnson ,he brought it over and we could not get it to start. I changed the plug put in new gas,still will not fire. Not sure if there is a spark,I pulled out plug and and tired to start and I am sure I did not see a spark. Where should I go from here. thanks.

you probably already knew this, but just in case, when checking for spark, the plug has to be grounded for it to spark, when you pull the motor over, have the metal threads of the plug laying on/ contacting the cylinder head