Plymouth whalers (OHL?)

Deano

I don't follow hockey much, but since the wolves are in the playoffs, got me wondering, Why does the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) have american teams? Asked around but no real answers, figured someone here should know.

first, GO WOLVES GO

second, who knows, i'd think money, i would think franchises are bought, these teams probably couldn't join a league in their own state because the league's were not expanding at the time and the ohl was, to which they applied, or perhaps the ohl is the closest league (distance wise) for that level of play, i don't know how plymouth or erie originated but saginaw was moved from north bay, i'm sure the league would rather have the team move to the states than lose it all together,

third, why does the ohl get so little respect, hardly any mention of it on TSN or sportsnet until the finals and even then it's scarce, 1 televised game, which was last sunday afternoon in plymouth, where we saw a small arena (3000 seater i would say) with wayyyy to many empty seats especially for the finals,

forth, you need connections to get seats here in sudbury, our rink holds approx. 5700 seats, aprrox. 3000 season ticket holders, tickets go on sale to these ppl. 24 hrs before the public, (which it should, they've been paying big bucks for years and should get first dibs) but they are also allowed to buy 4 extra tickets at that time ( for a potential of approx.15000 seats) soooo, the geneal public gets nothing but standing room only, so unless you're connected you're SOL (which i also think is OK)

anyways i'm rambling on, i've listened to all playoff games on the radio, and listen to most of regular season games at work, i think more games should be televised, there's plnety of coverage of AHL, WHL, and i'd bet more QMJHL than OHL on TV, it's a forgotten league even though 20% of current nhl'ers come from the OHL

fifth, GO WOLVES GO

the city's buzzing, 31 years in the making, 2 games away

The whalers have a huge history. All part of the Detroit Red Wings organization! They have been around for 70 Years and before that with different names.

The OHL is a premier league. Producing more NHL players than any other junior division.

I say bring on American expansion. The competition is worth boarder teams, within close proximity. The team has Canadian born players BUT I believe the league does have a content rule, Ontario teams have rights to Ontario born players, the American teams have a minimum American content they have to roster.

Easton

The Plymouth Whalers play less than 20 minutes from my house. When the NHL had the lock out they were selling out because they had a few pros playing for them (i.e. Chris Chelios). It gave them a lot of exposure & helped sell some merchandise for the OHL.

The Plymouth Whalers play less than 20 minutes from my house. When the NHL had the lock out they were selling out because they had a few pros playing for them (i.e. Chris Chelios). It gave them a lot of exposure & helped sell some merchandise for the OHL.

I'm not sure when the decision was made to allow teams to be based in the U.S. but I am sure that "pros playing for them (i.e. Chris Chelios)." did not happen. He's old enough to be the father of the kids playing in the OHL. Even at half his age he would be too old to be an overage player.

I'm not sure when the decision was made to allow teams to be based in the U.S. but I am sure that "pros playing for them (i.e. Chris Chelios)." did not happen. He's old enough to be the father of the kids playing in the OHL. Even at half his age he would be too old to be an overage player.

Oops had the wrong team. During the 2004-2005 season NHL Lock out, Chris Chelios played for the Motor City Mechanics. Chelios was able to play because he didn't have an NHL contract. Chris Drapper was going to play for them during the lock out but he was still under contract with the Red Wings.

Edited by Zib

well wolves goalie Dahm got peppered tonight but they still managed to take it to overtime, despite their efforts they came up with a loss after being outshot 81-35,they combined for 56 penalty minutes, it's gonna be a long flight home,

now they gotta win the 2 last games to make it to the big show, the barn's gonna be loud on sunday

GO WOLVES GO