Tungsten vs Lead Drop shot Weights

EC1

Afternoon guys!

Wanted to start a discussion about drop shot weights.

I've only ever had experience with lead drop shot weights, but can anyone that's used the tungsten drop shot weights let me know whether they are worth it?

Does it feel any different?

I know that the people out there market tungsten as this thing that drops faster, more eco friendly, smaller profile, and more sensitive - but do you guys agree? To be honest, I barely notice too big of a difference between using lead and tungsten worm weights when texas rigging. (I am mostly using tungsten for texas rigs though)

I have not found too much difference in them, I think the sensitivity of your line and rod are more important when drop shotting anyways. I certainly cannot justify the additional cost when you could go through a few packages on Erie getting hung up on bottom.

The only noticeable difference I have ever noticed is because tungsten is more dence, it has a smaller profile.

Thy are more Eco friendly but other than the fact they will give a Texas rigged plastic a slightly smaller profile, I really don't find much of a difference.

here a couple advantages off the top of my (but not for shotting) unless the smaller size entices a bite

the smaller profile will cut through weed matts better than lead in the same size

tungen will not get rounded off/chunks and nicks from bouncing off rocks like lead

you can carry more in less space (now u can have more variety)

they make a clack on rocks rather than thud from lead(better sound louder)

Edited by skeeter99

Great! You guys saved me a bunch of money so I don't jump the gun and go out to buy new drop shot weights. I can't wait to use my new drop shot rod for the year though

Skeeter, that's an interesting thing you mentioned about the clacking sound of tungsten on rocks. I have a feeling that many people are going to agree / disagree with you, just like the idea of whether you need a rattle or not on jigs.

Tungsten has it uses but it is in a very few instances it works better. I use it for fishing grass matts it catches less weeds. I don't feel it is worth the extra cost to be eco friendly. I use them mostly on a shaky jig set up so the clacking is not prevalent since it is in weedy conditions.

Art

You can feel the difference on hard bottom if you are using a good setup, the weight will allow you to feel more but unless its important to feel when you say go from a sand bottom to gravel there is no benefit.

You can feel the difference on hard bottom if you are using a good setup, the weight will allow you to feel more but unless its important to feel when you say go from a sand bottom to gravel there is no benefit.

I don't think I even had a problem feeling the changes in the bottom with a budget rod and lead weight... No thanks to a dollar a drop shot weight then :)

Save the money up and get a Spiel creation the way they are built and the materials he uses make a big difference..They are responsible for me being able to feel a lot of the fish I used to miss because of poor building quality of mass produced rods. Yes some of the mass produced rods are good and it isn't till you are worming and have had both will you truly appreciate the handmade rods.

Art