Experimental lakes area saved

Dave Bailey

Look at that "vote for me" face time! Hope I'm wrong.... Quotes

headshot-fab3b2fe1a49b7e74632c1488150c24

We have had many conversations with members of the public and our scientific and academic communities who want to see the Experimental Lakes Area stay open. Investing in science and research to help us understand and prevent pollution is a wise investment for the people of Ontario."

Kathleen Wynne

Premier of Ontario

headshot-558a3a0a98b718fb99fbe7b1d805d10

Ongoing research at the Experimental Lakes Area has produced decades’ worth of continuous data. Ensuring this important information continues to be collected will help us identify emerging threats to our environment and understand critical changes in ecological communities over time. I look forward to working with the federal government, the Government of Manitoba and other partners to keep ELA operating."

Laurel Broten

Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs

headshot-04625de129abad14a23151793d6427c

The Experimental Lakes Area is an incredibly productive outdoor laboratory. It has an unmatched record of generating critical information about acid rain, mercury contamination, climate change effects, and the connection between phosphorus runoff and algae blooms in lakes. The ELA is a go-to place when we need information to make environmental progress."

Jim Bradley

Minister of the Environment

headshot-b3e07133ab417589c0f63506e02a1fb

Ontario recognizes the Experimental Lakes Area as a world-renowned freshwater research facility that contributes to our growing knowledge of ecosystem health and informs our stewardship strategies. I am pleased that our government is working with the federal government towards the goal of sustaining operations at this unique natural resources laboratory."

David Orazietti

Minister of Natural Resources

Actually we don't vote for a Premier, we voted for a local representatives and the party with the most seats selects its Premier....Granted most party's run there elections on who there official leader is but its not the same as voting for a President but I get where you are coming from.

Good on the Province and shame of the Feds as science is still important, somedays it feels like we are heading backwards.

• 9 months later...

Hold on, it really hasn't been saved. Last night at our local skeptics pub night, we had a presentation by Dan Weaver, a scientist and member of Evidence for Democracy. EfD is a group composed of scientists, who are publicizing and fighting federal government restrictions on science. He had something interesting to say about the ELA; while the provincial funding is keeping it open, there is, at the moment, no work being done due to federal government intransigence. Before any experimentation can be done, which often means using chemicals to affect changes in the lakes, federal permission must be obtained. It has not been forthcoming, so it exists in name only, with no experiments being conducted.

True but I think it's a matter of time and bureaucratic paperwork. It will happen imo. btw, there are canoe routes through the lakes area and it's beautiful country as is all all of northern ont . I was hoping to get a map of the place but no luck. yet :)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ontario-proposal-would-let-scientists-resume-experimental-lakes-area-work/article16421808/#dashboard/follows/