Fishing maps - Big and Little Marten, Bruce, McPhee Lakes?

Burtess

I am heading up to the Marten River area the third week in June and am looking to purchase detailed maps of these lakes. I have checked a couple of fishing map websites and they only list "Marten Lake", which I assume is Big Marten but none of the others.

Anyone know where (if) the others are available?

Thanks,

Burt :)

anglers atlas has a topo map online. Little Marten is on the north side of Marten Lake rd (it's really the river part), and Big Marten is on the south side of the road.

Not much info on Bruce of McPhee... you can get a fantastic area map at the Rock Pine Restaurant in Marten River, or go online and check out the "friends of temagami" website for the Ultimate Map, it's a really good wall map, but it's huge. You can get it a Lefevres in North Bay. Both those updated maps have trails, camp sites etc etc

Edited by Rod Caster

Visit the Canadian Centre for Inland Waters website. It is located below the Burlington Skyway bridge. All of my maps came from there before there was such a thing as the internet and people used topographical maps to fish. The facility is a must see place for anyone interested in Canadian fisheries. Great education for kids and adults. If they don't have a map you can bet a detailed map doesn't exist. Most Navionics and other electronic maps come from their resource library.

That's the whole thing Fishlogic.. what he's referring to as little and big. I guess Little is the long straight stretch on the East side of the highway and once it goes under the bridge it's the "river". What I took aerials of is "little" and "river".

Thanks guys! So I guess they just call it Marten Lake then and I can send off for that map. They may have "fishing" maps up there at the stores I would imagine, I will check that out when I get there.

I fish little Marten once in a blue moon and it's a fantastic lake, the river at the bridge can be a great spot to hit some pickies at opener. Hit up some of the islands and use shiners. The locals I know up there only use live bait and have owned those lakes. Another suggestion is Wicksteed Lake. Just a little further up on Marten Lake Rd there's a launch. Huge pickeral and pike up there. Nice size smallies too. You're hitting up a haven! Good luck!

In the photo posted by rod caster the body of water directly to the left of where martin lake is marked is what they call little martin lake. I think in the picture theres 2 red dots on it, West of the bridge on Martin lake road is just martin river. I'm not sure if you can get into McFee lake, last i have heard there was a beaver dam blocking access, I havent tried getting in the for about 4 years. McFee is fairly shallow with a mud bottom and very little stucture, not really my type of lake.

There is certainly a few good spots out there in Martin lake at the right time of year it can be very productive.

As for Wickstead i would consider it a far better lake to fish but be very careful getting in and out there is a lot of rocks and trees and some very narrow passages.

I think the best map i have seen of all 4 lakes is one from beaverland camp. You might try contacting them. It's a pretty generalized map but atleast it will give you some idea of where the different depths are and of course the rocks !

I think the best map i have seen of all 4 lakes is one from beaverland camp. You might try contacting them. It's a pretty generalized map but atleast it will give you some idea of where the different depths are and of course the rocks !

Yup, the guys at Beaverland Lodge know their stuff!

Right on... this is the place we are staying at. I am really looking forward to this week!

Yup, the guys at Beaverland Lodge know their stuff!

Albert and his wife are great, unfortunately they have put Beaverland up for sale. After talking with him this winter, he said he's ready to retire. He moved over to the Tilden Lake area. Still no buyers as of yet and Albert said it will be business as usual. Again, good luck!

Well i hope you have a good week up there and the weather co operates for you. If your looking for some good eats the Rock Pine motel just across the hwy has some relativly new owners and the food is great and lots of it. You wont be disapointed.