Hit Scugog today

Locnar

I hit Scugog this morning, got there at around 7am. Bait shop was closed until 9am... so I just went out with a micro jig. Foggy as could be out there, was pretty friggin cool. Caught this Crappie about half an hour into my day. http://imgur.com/ON8gLIG And then nothing for a while... moved about 50 ft away, and catch a small largemouth. Released right away. For the next hour and a half I got nothing... a couple small hits, assuming they were dinky perch. Packed er in at about 10:30. Ice was still solid out there, was on probably 12 inches of black ice and about 4 inches of white ice.

The best bite on scugog has always been in the afternoon. If I waned to fish panfish, I would head out about noon or 1pm and keep moving until i found some willing fish and then about 1.5 hours before dark I would head into about 2-4 feet of water, drill about 25 holes and fish with a pimple tipped with a minnow and stinger hook for pickerel. That is of course during the open season for pickerel. That closed on feb 28, as I am sure your aware! Anyway, that has worked well for me in the past! Good luck!

Edited by porkpie

Thanks for info guys, I went looking for crappies. Then decided to try for whatever might bite. I have never caught a walleye on Scugog, But 2-4 ft just before dark eh? Is that just for the ice season, or do they behave like that during other times of the year? If it's only during the winter I'll give it a go next year.

dont forget walleye are closed on scugog on last day of feb.

to get numbers you need to fish the deeper water 8 to 12 feet and fish about 3 to 4 feet from the bottom of the ice

they are stacked right now out there alot guys are fishing under them, remember they look up

Thanks for info guys, I went looking for crappies. Then decided to try for whatever might bite. I have never caught a walleye on Scugog, But 2-4 ft just before dark eh? Is that just for the ice season, or do they behave like that during other times of the year? If it's only during the winter I'll give it a go next year.

I have caught them jigging weed pockets in the evening in a couple of feet of water in summertime. The lake being generally shallow, the pics will be where the food is at, so if that's in the slop, you will catch them in the slop! It's funny as heck to catch them like bass, but there you go!!