My son is ready for a baitcaster...

manitoubass2

So my 11 year old boy said he's ready to start learning the art of fishing with a baitcaster. He's advenced for his age in terms of angling, so I said if his report card came in good, we'd start looking.

I showed him some videos and we even went and took some casts out in the yard so he could get the feel for it, and he did really well!

So now I'm looking for an entry level baitcaster for him to surprise him abit this weekend. He's left hand so I know it narrows my options abit.

So I went for a look around and found one that looks nice, supposedly handle pretty well, but is not too advanced for him to learn on(ie the break system)

The reel is a Shimano Cajus, and I paired it up with a 6ft. Berkley Lightning medium rod. It felt pretty good in my hand and it just so happens the colors match (which obviously doesn't matter, but I think he'll like that.

Any thoughts before I make the purchase? Are there better options or anything I'm overlooking here?

This rod would see most its action shorefishing heavy cover, and finessing around heavy rock near rapids.

Oh, I'll mention too the total cost of this combo would be about $140

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions! Always appreciated

look at the abu combo's available...most come with a vengence or vendetta rod.

for a quality reel at a good price the new daiwa lexa or revo s are nice.

Thanks, I'll see if I can look at those locally tomorrow.

Do you have any old rods that he can use, so you can spend all $140 on the reel?

I don't have anything under 6'3, so my concern is the rods will be too long for him to handle properly. When we practiced he was using the 6'3" and although he was doing well, it looked too long for him to do anything other then sidecast

Ah, gotcha.

Well I would suggest heavily weighting your budget onto the reel and going cheap (for now) on the rod.

Yeah, I get your point.

Another thing I just thought of was maybe I just wreck the surprise and bring him with so he can feel out the options.

I wouldn't be opposed to maybe looking at a citica or a curado either, as the cost is justified if he gets long term use out of the reel. and both are available in lefties.

I'll look at the Daiwas too, but the store I frequent doesn't carry too much of the Daiwa line, so I'm doubting they have lefties, but you never know!

Citica is a great beginner reel. I still use mine (it was my first)

Yeah agreed, thanks for the input BillM.

Any more thoughts on a rod? I'm thinking i'd like to stay in that $50-$75 range for a 6ft medium.

I seen a 6ft Vendetta if my memory services me correct for $69 (meh, just checked, its a 6'3")

Edited by manitoubass2

I used one of the new Citica's with crankbaits last year. Great little reel,easy to adjust and seemed to keep backlashes down even with straight fluoro. x2 on the suggestion of a Citica.

The Caenan has the VBS breaking over the Caius with the easy mag system. Have a look at this reel also. For under 100 bucks it will do the job for many summers for your son I'm sure. Let us know your choice :)

MTBF

I think "Hey, get in the car we are going to buy you a reel" is just as good a surprise as "Here's a reel"

:)

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think it'll actually be a bigger surprise. Seeing as we have to make a 50 minute drive to get there and such, I think he'll appreciate that!

Your a good dood Sinclair!

I bought an abu garcia black max 2 years ago(left hand), at canadian tire because they had it on clearance for $40. It felt really light and smooth for the price, so i bought it for a spare... I have used it a lot since and really like it a lot... Never ever backlashes on me and casts further then my chronarch! Its not my number one choice, but definitely best reel i own for the money.

I bought an abu garcia black max 2 years ago(left hand), at canadian tire because they had it on clearance for $40. It felt really light and smooth for the price, so i bought it for a spare... I have used it a lot since and really like it a lot... Never ever backlashes on me and casts further then my chronarch! Its not my number one choice, but definitely best reel i own for the money.

Thanks for the advice, but I checked our local CT and all they had left handed was the shimano cajus, and a whole wack of new bass plastics that I had to grab some of, lol

I'll peak at Great Bear but it's mainly middle to higher end in the reel department

Edited by manitoubass2

Well loose lips sink ships!

My boy finished 2nd in the A division this past weekend in his hockey tourny, so somebody, beat me to the punch, lol(darned grandparents). Damn. I hope he likes it

I'm still going shopping tomorrow regardless, lol

He got the Berkley Lightning Shock 6ft, with the Shimano Cajus.

I spooled it up with some mono cause I know he's gonna wanna practice when he gets here!

51C648A8-E6A9-4E54-973D-F79AA1A4E3FF-994

544319D6-3366-4113-800B-EAD73258C0E9-994

925AB592-FC2B-48C2-9E1C-2DFDE75993CA-994

Edited by manitoubass2

Well turns out my boy is staying at the grandparents for the weekend, so the surprise will have to wait.

Heres what I found for his tackle box though! Gonna be like Christmas all over!

Never did find those Storm Smash Shads though, bummer. I can't wait to try those for walleye in the spring

ECD95A0C-D991-45AE-B83A-902C6838A3E8-107

you did say he was 11 right.....???...wow what a collection so far....lol....and the addiction will start very early!!

wtg dad!!

Yeah, he's 11. He's already addicted, lol, he loves fishing, and he's very good at it too! He's got a fair amount of tackle to boost, but I don't mind rewarding him with things that help him do what he loves to do.

One thing I love to see is that he really appreciated any fish out there. He loves smallies, largies, pike, laketrout, perch and walleye all in the same.

Oh, and he loves tying knots, lol. Kid knows more knots then I do, even ties his owns harnesses!

Thanks for the kudos, but I'm sure many of the parents on this board do just the same for their children