First time putting hut out - Last minute Question!

NAW

I am putting my hut out tomorrow morning. This will be the first time I ever leave it out for more then a day.

There will be at least 8" of crusty snow, and likely another few inches of powder where I want to put my hut. Gunna leave it there till the end of the season.

Should I shovel down to the ice. Then block the hut up on the ice. Or just block the hut up on top of the snow, then bank the walls with snow?

My concern is for the ease of removal in a few weeks.

The hut will be anchored well, so I'm not worried about that. I just don't want a real :asshat: of a time getting it out at the end of the year.

Any advice?

Never any guarantees with ice Nick, you should not have to shovel off the ice before blocking it up. The biggest concern may be if you are going to drill holes inside for fishing. Just be sure hut is up high enough so that the slush and water from drilling the inside holes does not freeze it in. Mine is only up on 4x4's now.

It always seems you can never have enough blocks and when you thinks its hacked up enough put another block under it !!!! Many years of that crap fighting the slush and having them freeze in !!! It's never ending !!!!! Lots of fun if you get a thaw then a freeze again try to pick a high spot on the ice if you can its all trial and error some winters were great some were constantly baby sitting the hut and jacking it up

Get a couple of pieces of 1inch thick pink styrofoam, they go on the ice first, then the 4x4 or 2x4 blocks. The styrofoam is the heat break, it really slows down the sinking process. In case you're worried that it will compress, it doesn't unless your hut weighs a ton.