NF - natural gas BBQ

fisher

Just bought a natural gas BBQ with 74000 btus and am getting different opinions on size of hose to run from the gas line to the BBQ.

One guy says with 74000 btus I should use 3/4 hose whereas another guy says 1/2 inch is fine . There is a significant difference in price ...anyone have any insight?

I want maximum heat output but don't want to go bigger on hose size if not needed

Also any idea of what should I expect to pay (the connection iwould be from my basement with a T on the man line already capped to be connected to thehose. He would need about 15 feet of hose from the cap to where the bbq would rest . he will need to drill to the outside (which is easily accessible).

Thanks

Edited by fisher

Can you provide a little more info? If it's a commercial unit with multi burners etc., chances are you will need 3/4" to provide enough LPG to the unit to fire all of the burners at max. What is the make? What hose is recommended by the manufacturer? BTW there shouldn't be a huge difference between 1/2" LP hose and 3/4" LP hose...PM me if you like..

Hi John, thanks for the reply. it is a Napoleon with 4 burners (residential unit) that I bought at Canadian Tire.

Your suggestion of contacting the manufacturer is a good one and I am a little embarrassed that I did not think of that myself. I guess I was just too excited that I'd be grilling again after my propane bbq bit the dust over 2 months ago and never thought of that! I just tried their number and they are closed. Will give them a shout in the morning.

Edited by fisher

I work for a napoleon dealer. 1/2 " hose will be fine. Is it a prestige 450? Also it sounds like you are running the hose through the wall. Thats a no no. Hard pipe from your basement to out side then you can attach the hose. Typically bbq lines run $150 for the first 10 ' and $10 a foot after. Thats what my company charges.

Thanks for your reply.

This is the unit I got...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/NaturalGasBBQs/PRD~0853073P/Napoleon+Legend+RSIB+Natural+Gas+BBQ.jsp?locale=en

Could you confirm the above unit would only need a 1/2" pipe?

As for the gas fitter (if that is their professional name), I am not sure what their plan is (ie. they may in fact be tying into the cap in my basement with a hard pipe to the outside and then the rubber hose..but I will make sure they actually do that..thanks for that info.)

So in that case, I would say it is a 5 foot pipe to outside and then maybe another 10 foot hose from that point to the bbq (just in case I need to move it around for some reason).

Yup you got it Fisher. The guy would likely come off the already capped "T" in the basement, run some pipe from "T" to outside wall. Secure pipe on outside wall with hangers/clips and install an outdoor shutoff valve. On the downstream side of that valve goes a quick disconnect and thats about it. Plug the rubber hose supplied with the BBQ into the quick connect and VOILA!!! your cooking with gas. For 5' of pipe and labour maybe $300 or so I'd say.

Pidge is right the natural gas model should have the hose and quick disconnect included. It should be a 10' hose. Not sure of the diameter of it but i would guess that its half inch. If its the regular stlye hose you have to reduce the main line down to a 3/8" nipple in order to adapt your gas line to the hose fitting.

Ok i thought you were talking about the hose size..not your main line size. 3/4" pipes carrying capacity is higher then 1/2". How far away is the farthest Gas appliance located from the meter? I need to know a pretty accurate measurement of longest measured run in the house. For instance if its 50' a half inch line off of the main will supply 95000 btu/h

Thanks again...and sorry for the confusion. From what I gathered here and also speaking to Napoleon, and based on the short distance from the main line to the barbecue,it looks like I would only need 1/2 inch pipe to connect to the hose.

I also found another guy that a friend of mine used that is TSSA ceritfied/insured.. that would do it for $225. Much better.

I could do my own gas fitting but prefer to stick with propane for portability. I bar b que a lot, both summer and winter, so I move my machine around quite a bit. In summer it's out on the patio. Depending on the heat and time of day, I might roll it over to a shady spot. In winter it's right outside the back door. Not worth the savings in my opinion.