Lake Winnipeg declared most threatened lake in the WORLD

I'mHooked

I was disgusted to see the runoff from the "snow dump" the other day... This snow dump is literally right at the waterfront.., from the bridge you could see different colored water covering about 2 football fields of area...

It made me wonder... Couldn't the snow dump be further from the water so the ground can filter the water a bit....? Or is that 6 of one and half a dozen of the other...?

I was disgusted to see the runoff from the "snow dump" the other day... This snow dump is literally right at the waterfront.., from the bridge you could see different colored water covering about 2 football fields of area...

It made me wonder... Couldn't the snow dump be further from the water so the ground can filter the water a bit....? Or is that 6 of one and half a dozen of the other...?

If you watch the video I posted you'll see that it probably doesn't matter.

Farmers have done away with ponds/reservoirs (letting the ground slowly absorb and filter nutrients and toxins) in favour of drainage networks. These fast flowing networks all eventually dump into larger bodies of water.

Lake Winnipeg receives excess nutrients and toxins from hundreds of miles away.

Farmers aren't the root of the problem but a big contributor.

The big problem with lake Winnipeg isn't agriculture, but the city of Winnipeg. The majority of the phosphate level in the lake occurs from the citys sewage effluinent not from agricultural sources. Most homes in the city have dishwashers that run on a daily basis and the detergent is a major source of phophate. The cities sewage treatment plants do not remove this contaminiant prior to duimping the effluinent into the Red River. This increase in phospates is a major contributor the the algae blooms the lake experience in the summer months.

Edited by Old Man

Another example of chickens coming home to roost. Our so called leaders have had two generations of growth to implement measures needed to stave off these ever increasing issues and now they just need more of what we have very little of left, Money. It is a shame and they are chiefly responsible for most of the messes created in out society. All in my humble opinion of course. Their shame.

The main problem is the excess nutrient load from Devils Lake and the runoff from south of the border. Those lakes to the south have been over flowing there banks for about 10 years now. The drought last year in the upper midwest is probably the best thing to happen to lake Winnipeg. it will slow down the nutrient load into it and allow the lake time to process some of it.

Trust me, this is my job!

Darren