Poor readings at greater depths with Lowrance Ice Ducer

asdve23rveavwa

Hey all. Hooked up the new ice transducer this past weekend. So much more convenient than "the stick", however, I was a bit disappointed with my depth readings below 40 feet.

I tried increasing the sensitivity, and, although the jig showed up better...the interference, background noise negated any positives.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I was fishing 62-65 feet of water, and, the unit is a Lowrance X100C.

Cheers,

Frank

Edited by FRANKIE65

Frank.. I use my 102C and it was a nightmare to get set up correctly. Anything above about 90% sensitivity and my screen will actually go solid black.

Turn the sensitivity down.. ping speed to 25% (you're not moving.. unless you're on Erie maybe...). And just keep playing with settings 'till it gets better.

Considering ice this year (other than for NWT Dave)... I probably don't have to say make sure the transducer is below the ice..

Thanks, guys. I had another suggestion from someone that asked if I had noise reduction on the unit. I downloaded the old manual for it, and, looks like I do. Has three settings, low, medium and high...as well as off....so hoping that with some more playing around/fine tuning, she should be reading the way I want it to.

Just need this mild weather to take a hike so I can get back out there.

Noise reduction off

It sounds like you were getting interference from another unit. Were there other fisherman nearby?

I set my upper/lower limits to see the water I'm fishing as well. Clears the picture up. Then split screen it so you can see the whole water column.

S.

Yes Frank... noise reduction.. mine has an upper .. generally set to medium or high.. and a lower, generally set to low or medium

Was just checking it out. Found all the settings and the surface reduction was off, the noise was on low. Set them both to medium. Ready for some fine tuning out on the ice!!

I'm not 100% sure that unit has an 'upper and lower limits' feature in the menu/pages but if it does you may solve your issue there. If for instance, you are fishing 65' then set the lower to 65' and the upper to say 30'. Your lure should mark in that bottom 35' like a charm but you will lose the top 30' feet of the water column for viewing your lure and fish.

I use this feature often when fishing in 100' feet of water with smaller baits. I'll set the upper limits to 70' and the lower to 100' The lure and fish are easily visible on the screen.