Anyone make steel lining rods ?

mattybculp

Hey guys I have been doin a little more lake trout fishing the last couple years and we go into some back lakes in algonquin where we cant always get the boats in there with down riggers so we are steel lining it. My problem is i have looked around to purchase a steel lining rod but can really find any. the one i have weighs like 3 pounds lol i was looking for something a little less bulky. My friend has a real nice light beauty but it was a custom built rod made by an older gentleman who sadly passed away. Just curious if anyone out there is making rods and would take on an order or if not perhaps the membership may know a spot where i may have overlooked. Thanks everyone!

depending on the lake and where they hang, a dipsey diver setup may be all you need or get one of those clamp-on portable rigger dealios. they work well.

Edited by Raf

Little clamp-on downriggers are light weight and work really well. If you don't want to portage a cannonball, use a mesh bag and a rock. It's pretty crude, but it works.

If you're absolutely bent on using wire, I have used it on a regular baitcasting rod. It will chew up your guides over time, so it isn't optimal, but it will work if it's just a one-weekend-a-year kind of thing. Frankly, I think you're better off to just use braid and a heavy bottom bouncer.