Calm before the Storm

MJL

My dad and I hit the Islands today – First time this year. We wanted to fish the islands before pike season opened and was pressured by all the OFNers. It was a nice day to be out – certainly better than mowing the lawn or cleaning up my room. Walked a ton throughout the entire day with 20lbs of gear strapped to my back – Standing on the scale, I lost 4.5lbs. Every year I go through the same ritual of starting heavy and decreasing the weight each trip out to the Islands.

Fished a few different spots and didn’t get anything. Took a nap on a bench and ate lunch. My dad the aspiring photographer tested out a few of his lenses. One for DSN, because we all know how much he loves swans.

DSC_0889.jpg

The last spot we fished, we managed to get into some fish

I caught a large chunky bullhead. Like the ones DSN posted earlier in the week, it also had some nasty growths on it. My dad didn’t think it was photo-worthy for the archives. Popped it off the hook and it swam away to become pike food.

A few minutes later I get this cool fish. I’ve never caught a bowfin before. I saw it sunning itself in some weeds, put a worm on the hook and jigged it a little…He took. The fight was good for a fish that size. A few quick pictures and it was off. I never realized how slimy they were – Almost like holding a long bar of soap in the shower (sans the nudity).

Bowfin.jpg

Finally what I went to the Islands for.

DSC_0917.jpg

Managed to hook and land a few around this size. Fish just weren’t in the mood for food. I tried a bunch of things till I finally got them to hit. Nothing over 12lbs but I’m not complaining.

carp.jpg

I was 1 fish short of a “TO Islands grand slam”. Like how flats fishermen have their grand slam of Tarpon, bonefish, permit and snook; On the islands with course fish, we have carp, bullheads, bowfin and sheepshead – There are probably suckers too but I’ve never actually seen them at the Islands. Landed 3 of the 4 with the sheepshead no where to be found. Will be out again fishing the pike opener…For…You guessed it…Carp.

Edited by MJL

All the big fish left when I left the island. :lol: They follow me where ever I go. I'll let you know when and where the monster will show up. Then we'll head out for them again.

Nice bowfin!!

Looking forward in getting some close up shots for my ref files.

dsn

Edited by dsn

now i don't feel so bad for getting skunked all week at the grand :D ...

nice bowfin and defintely a nice day out though, especially with ur dad

i'm heading out tmr night for some crappie ... hopefully i can break off the no fish spell since last time i went out for suckers lol

Great report MJL. I knew it wouldn't be long before you hit the islands for carp. Nice Bowfin though - wouldn't mind catching one of those to cross of my list. I'm going to try and be out at the islands tomorrow and catch my first carp and pike of the year if possible.

I was 1 fish short of a “TO Islands grand slam”. Like how flats fishermen have their grand slam of Tarpon, bonefish, permit and snook; On the islands with course fish, we have carp, bullheads, bowfin and sheepshead – There are probably suckers too but I’ve never actually seen them at the Islands. Landed 3 of the 4 with the sheepshead no where to be found. Will be out again fishing the pike opener…For…You guessed it…Carp.

With coarse fish... we actually call it a "Trashcan Slam"! :Gonefishing: