Whistler area guides?

Christopheraaron

Hey guys, so this morning my dad gave me an awesome gift! We're going (my dad and I) to whistler sometime next year on a fishing trip. We'll be staying at the fairmont whistler. As far as I know we'll have a rental car. We are planning on having a guide the first day and then to explore the rest of the trip. A few things that we need to know are: What is a good guide service in the area? What would the best time of year be to try and get resident cutthroats, steelhead, and salmon (apart from winter)? And what is the best salmon/steelhead river within an hours drive of whistler? Thanks! thumbsup_anim.gif

Hey guys, so this morning my dad gave me an awesome gift! We're going (my dad and I) to whistler sometime next year on a fishing trip. We'll be staying at the fairmont whistler. As far as I know we'll have a rental car. We are planning on having a guide the first day and then to explore the rest of the trip. A few things that we need to know are: What is a good guide service in the area? What would the best time of year be to try and get resident cutthroats, steelhead, and salmon (apart from winter)? And what is the best salmon/steelhead river within an hours drive of whistler? Thanks! thumbsup_anim.gif

I fished that area a few years ago with a guide, on the Birkenhead river. Ill pm you with some details.

Back in 2005 or 2006, my friends fly-fished around Whistler for steelhead, dollies & resident rainbows (in November I think). They fished with Brian Niska from Whistler Fly Fishing and had a great time. On that trip, their rod tube containing $2400 worth of Sage spey rods was crushed in half during transit but Brian had them set up with all the gear. Not too sure if he does other types of fishing (eg. float fishing) but my friends rate him very well if you're thinking of doing some fly fishing.

There is a guide right in the village. I too fished the Birkenhead in August. The chimneys were starting to roll in and the resi bows were cooperating well. It was a while back so I don't remember the directions but the whistler fly shop was very helpful with directions and had the best flies for the local rivers.

these are my stompin grounds...I'll PM you my email

practice your spey(skagit) casting all spring and summer

if you can upgrade your rental to 4wd it will open up a lot of opportunity

Just have to build a skagit rod now, it's ok, I was planning on it anyways. :)

We usually get something with 4wd so that shouldn't be a problem. Can't wait for the email.