Golden opportunity to catch walleye after 5-year wait

RobHall

Just a heads up for those who live in eastern ontario. Golden Lake's walleye opener is May 19th and it's looking good to catch a decent eye or two. There will be a 50-cm (20 inch) minimum size limit in place. I'm going to look into heading up for the opener, even if it's just for the day.

Ottawa Sun article

In case anyone is interested, here is a map.

goldenlake.jpg

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

Word of advice, dont waste your gas and money.

I have been fishing the Bonnechere and Golden Lake system my whole life and

the Eyes are few and far between.

Eventhough its been closed for some 5 years, it never stopped the natives up there from netting them.

Its probably at the worst point its ever been.

Earlier in the 5 years of the ban you would get a couple while pike or bass fishing but the last 2-3 years Ive only seen one in our boat.

Thank our government, I know everyone up there does (insert sarcasm)

I always had my best luck up there in the Bonnechere river between Round & Golden lakes. Caught big smallies, small largies, hammer handle pike, 15" walleyes and even this, my only ever whitie.

082763.jpg

Haven't been up there since I met my wife camping at Tramore's covered bridge park. I don't hold that against the region though, I just haven't been able to return since 1994. A bolt of lightning hit the tree beside my tent and destroyed 2 of my 3 fishing poles. One of which was Lightning rod by Berkley. Maybe it was a sign?

30 - 40 years ago we used to pitch our tents and camp on the shore of the Bonnachere right at Deacons Bridge where it empties into Golden. Used to be lots of laffing and partying but I don't recall doing much fishin :lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Fishin on the brain: Did you make the trek to Golden lake? I vacation there every July and have seen the walleye start to pick up the past few years.

I am actually heading up this weekend with about 15 guys to give it a go. If the fishing is bad I hope the poker is good!!

Looking forward to your update! :Gonefishing: