Ice fishing near London

i2cool2fool

Hey all. I have never ice fished and think it might be a bad idea to try this year (cause I'll probably enjoy it too much and get hooked).

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for a rental / service fully rigged up so I can try it out? Or perhaps someone into ice fishing is looking for fresh face in their hut? :) I can bring good eats, etc.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and consideration. If you prefer to PM me, cool. If not, that's cool too.

hopefully this winter the weather will be a little nicer for hard water. Your best bet for finding a operator for huts and gear would either be long point( contact rotten ronnies for info)) or mitchels bay(contact dennis at bass haven for info and check out his site basshaven.COM) and rondeau bay.There are a few ponds(mill pond,sharon creek,pond mills ponds,and maybe fanshawe lake) in the area where if the ice is safe you could venture out on with a few simple items,tip ups or small ice combo,manuel auger or spud,terminal tackle,small sled to haul gear,hole scoop,small portable shack ,all of this comes up regularly on the classified section or kijiji and can be picked up very reasonable,probably less than 2 trips out with a outfitter.

I have all the gear and hut but not the time to get out much if ever(3 kids in travel hockey and work)I even have a brand new jiffy power auger still in the box never opened that has been there for 4 years. But if i can get out and the ice is good i will post to see if you are still interested.

It's amazing how a fresh, light blanket of snow can put an extra bounce in ones step.

Come to Seaforth & you'll not say "light blanket of snow". About 8" here.

Maybe we can set-up a local day trip somewhere this winter.

I have all the equipment & than some.

If there's a good freeze on Simcoe this is what you can get.

Simcoe15Mar09002.jpg

Wildwood (sp) conservation area by St Mary`s.

People fish for pike right by the dam

I know the area well. Use to live 10 mins away.

Ice can be quite dangerous there if you don't know it. Changes quickly as it is a flood control reservoir.

Don't go by theirs others out there it must be safe.

I've seen many out there when my spud only found 2" of ice 50' from shore. If water levels raise shoreline ice may disappear quickly.

Be careful there.

Rick

BTW: Not sure on how dam construction & lower water levels this fall will effect icefishing.

Edited by Woodsman

Dorchester Mill Pond is OK. Pike, crappies, bluegills, pumpkinseed, usually fairly constant bite if you fish the deep runs. There is another species in there, but it is not widely known, so I ain't posting what. If you want to know, send me a pm. And :rofl2: no I don't mean bass

I'll defo hit it at some point, so if you wanna go keep it in mind.

Edited by Dutchy

Dorchester mill pond just lost all its fish populations thanks to that post.

Ps i took my inflatable there for 4 hours and got 2 of the "secret species".. Its really no secret and im sure one of the hoards of people going there this winter will get one and post it for ya this winter.

Edited by Rich

Wildwood is at record lows right now, there are actually islands in the middle where the used to be 15' of water (not actually islands but shoals not connected to the shoreline) the dam construction is done, hopefully the water returns soon but unless there's a load of snow........

Wildwood is at record lows right now, there are actually islands in the middle where the used to be 15' of water (not actually islands but shoals not connected to the shoreline) the dam construction is done, hopefully the water returns soon but unless there's a load of snow........

Yeah. The water level was crazy low this year. Wildwood closed up in August this year. Start the snow dance now.

I tried it this summer, seemed really shallow, weedy and muddy only stayed there for an hour. What's the secret species? Walleye? :ninja:

Not that exotic :w00t: Rich is acting like no-one ice fishes there. Confronted guys walking away with way over their limit. Being 6"3" and 300 lbs I can do that because no-one typically is dumb enough to mess with me. The secret species or 2 is not spectacular, just not well known about and can only be caught in certain areas which apparently Rich is lucky enough to hit in 4 hrs. They are not in there thick, just there. First fish I ever caught in there ice fishing was one of them.

I wish I was a conservation officer in Ontario, like some people here seem to think they are. Its why I don't post here anymore. This site is full of wankers who think they are the law. Go ban me Roy, couldn't give a crap. They guy asked about ice fishing around London. I hope he contacts me and we can go fishing together. Thats the point. Opinions are like cuties. Cuties????? Seriously, thats the best you could come up with? Lets all be secretive and never fish anywhere that anyone else every could, like Dorchester. Good one Rich. I thought you were better than that. And I know where the pinks run. Maybe I'll let that out next.............................

Edited by Dutchy