Jumping baitfish

funfishing

I was fishing the canal off highway 9 just past the 400 today and large schools of tiny fish were jumping in unison, about every 10 to 30 seconds or so. It was already getting dark, I tried to film it but the footage came out useless. The fish looked to be about an inch long.

What was strange was that they would all jump at the same time, in schools. Perhaps a predatory fish was swimming around gobbling them up, and they were jumping to avoid being eaten?

Anyone know what species this might have been?

I don't know what species it might have been, but in the spring in an inner harbour up on Lake Huron huge schools of emerald shiners were in close to some rocks and for about 3 weeks every morning just after dawn the predators would come in and you could see thousands of minnows explode on the surface trying to escape. Some would jump high enough to wind up on the rocks and they would have flip back into the water. During that time just about any type of predator fish you could name from Lake Huron were caught in decent numbers as the bait was so plentiful.

Emerald shiners and other minnow species are on their fall run right now. Might have just been spawning minnows. More likely whatever was chasing around schools of pinheads this time of year would be bluegills or perch. Pike wouldnt waste their energy on 1" minnows unless the pike were 10" long.

I drive past the canal every wkend on my way to Haliburton - didn't know there were pike (or even bass for that matter) in there.. might have to make a few stops next year :thumbsup_anim:

You want to stop and fish a filthy man made ditch, on your way to paradise?

You must be a real fisherman!

I drive past the canal every wkend on my way to Haliburton - didn't know there were pike (or even bass for that matter) in there.. might have to make a few stops next year :thumbsup_anim:

It's got decent carp (a few giants), and lots of sunfish, but not great fishing for other stuff. Better pike and bass downstream near simcoe.

And thats why we try not to be too specific about our spots :w00t::rofl2:

Let just set the record straight, I wasn't looking into stealing anyone's honey hole.. I've just seen people holdin rods and thought "my gawd what the hell could they possibly be fishing for in such filth" and when I said a few stops, I only meant just that- a few stops, couple casts- during diaper change stops etc. and truth be told, it likely won't even happen as someone else pointed out.. I'm heading to paradise.

Edited by Toad Hunter

Emerald shiners and other minnow species are on their fall run right now. Might have just been spawning minnows. More likely whatever was chasing around schools of pinheads this time of year would be bluegills or perch. Pike wouldnt waste their energy on 1" minnows unless the pike were 10" long.

They would if they were hungry enough and there was a decent school of them. I've had a couple mid-30" pike hit small (less than 2") spoons while perch fishing in October. However they would just be as happy going after the distracted perch wink.gif. It's likely there's one or two around

The way I view it on the underwater camera, classic by the way - the pike comes in for the perch school sloppy, gets confused they aren't there, but what's that taunting him in front of his face? I tiny little spoon. Foolish minnow. Tick, he eats it.

But he wasn't there for the minnow.