One last kick at the bass

HyperActive

Pointe Au Baril had a good mix of L/M and S/M bass, and decent sized ones of both. It depends on what area of it you intend to fish? I also found that the back bays and waters tended to hold more L/M bass, but there were still smallies around and it wasn`t all that unusual to catch them together.

No idea what the conditions are there this time of year, obviously if there is ice near shore, shallow water early it might be hard to fish shallow early in the day?

Just me? I wouldn`t limit myself to just crankbaits, mix in tubes, jig and pig, jig and plastic or even slow rolling a spinnerbait in deeper water. I caught L/M and S/M bass together there in 17 - 20 feet of water in September.

Thanks guys,

I really haven't fished this late in the season, it looks like they head for a little deeper water. I don't think time will be on my side so I thank you for the tips.

Ohio, if time permits I will dive into my tackle box a little deeper. I may not be using them properly but I have never even had a hit with a spinner, it would make my day to catch a largie using one!!!

Happy fishing,

Thanks guys,

I really haven't fished this late in the season, it looks like they head for a little deeper water. I don't think time will be on my side so I thank you for the tips.

Ohio, if time permits I will dive into my tackle box a little deeper. I may not be using them properly but I have never even had a hit with a spinner, it would make my day to catch a largie using one!!!

Happy fishing,

Hyper, usually when I say spinnerbait anymore I am referring to the safety pin style, in line spinnerbaits also catch bass, classics like a Mepps or Rooster tail. I just got away from using them for bass as the safety pin style are more weedless.

It is a bit warmer here longer than it is up there, but before I became disabled it was normal for me to fish here right up until the long Thanksgiving weekend here. Depending on weather conditions here, most if the lakes are frozen over, I have friends that still have small bass tournaments into December or early January, it takes a mild winter for that though.

Also don`t depend on water depth as a factor, ripping blade baits in 4-6 feet of water has worked in some of those late year tournaments.

I may not be using them properly but I have never even had a hit with a spinner, it would make my day to catch a largie using one!!!
I've caught bass on spinners and spoons, but never had luck with spinnerbaits (and not just with bass). :dunno: Edited by Gray_Wolf