Looking for a good travel rod

gordy28

I'm in the market for a good travel rod- not a 4 or 5 piecer but 2 piece a 6' to 6.6' ml to m combo I can keep in the car, take on an algonquin trip and also use for (still a dream) fly in trips in the future

I know there are lots of solid high end options but the other day while shopping at walmart w my 3 year old I stopped in the fishing section (she love the cartoon rods and all the brightly coloured lures-and I am happy to encourage anything fishibg) and I noticed the Abu Garcia Ike Dude combo. Its a 6 foot medium set up, 2 pieces that feels like its more like a medium light action-feels like its got half decent components a good balace and at 40 for the combo I'm thinking this may be the set up

Am I just getting sucked in by the whiteness of the rod and my cheap Scottish heart or would this fit the bill (thinking this rod gets used 4-5 times a year max)

Cheers

Gordy

Edited by gordy28

for a good travel rod (true travel) I use a 3 peice St. Croix premier that is 7 foot med. power and it comes in a nice codura covered PVC rod tube.

I got mine at bass pro several years ago for $200 I think.

I have taken it to mexico, the bahamas, cozumel etc. and caught snapper, baracuda, bonefish etc as it fits in a suitcase..

for a true travel rod, its a great option.

but its a 3 piece.

for a two piece rod, there will be more options.

All I can say is support your local tackle shops not the big box stores. Specially Walmart.

As for the rod. You get what you pay for, it is probably crap in my opinion.

Fair enough - although I have numerous friends and family who work for Walmart - so I dont mind supporting them along with local tackle shops

In terms of value on a fly - agreed - this would be a backup rod to my other combos that are all 1 piece set ups

Figured it was a silly idea - feedback seems to support it

G

For a back up rod who can go wrong with an ugly stick. Yes you will lose sensitivity but they are all but indestructible. Get a half decent reel with it and you will have a great backup for under $100. You also wouldnt mind lending this rod to a kid or a friend unlike a $200 St. Croix. I have a 7' ML Triumph in a case under the back seat of my truck always, whole combo and case was about $150, absolutely love that rod...

RED

I picked up a St. Croix Triumph that breaks down into 5 or so pieces. Sounds like some other members received a nice case with their. Mine included a fabric "roll-up" case -- kind of like rolling up the pieces in a towel so very little true protection. Bummer on top of it all is that with a reel attached, the rod no longer fits in the case!

Other than that, nice rod -- unlike the other 2 St. croix rods I own. Love 'em!

Edited by jayess