North Bay trip

sleepjigging

So a friend asks me, "The winter boots for sale in Toronto seems inadequate. Know any place up north for good stuff?"

I say, "Let's go to North Bay. They have real winters. They must have the goods to survive the cold. And the OFC people are real knowledgeable."

So he's looking forward to come up to Lake Nipissing. I figure we'll come up on a Saturday in November and may stay overnight.

Any one know good places to shop, and fish? My friend is into Crappies. I like all fish.

Please PM me, if you like, about the fishing that is.

Jiggy

Edited by sleepjigging

Well, Nip is closed in Nov, but many other lakes are open. As far as crappies, I have very little first hand knowledge about them in the NBay area. However, I do know that the crappie fishing is much better a bit south of us, around the Hwy 522 and Hwy 124 corridors. If your looking for other info, PM me with what your looking for, if you have a boat/canoe/shore fishing etc and I'll try to guide you to a decent spot.

For shops, there are a few to try. ASM Sports, on Lakeshore Drive has really good sales sometimes. I picked up boots and bibs for my Wife last year at 60% off. Any of the other snowmobile shops like Carelson's, Power Sports etc should have decent snow gear. Lefevres Outdoors off of Algonquin has name brand items. Superior Safety on Seymour St. has some good warm work clothes like cartharts. You can also try CTire, Marks, WalMart etc etc.

I personally buy most of my winter gear online at places like Cabelas, Wholesalesports, fishinghole etc. The price and selection are unparalleled when compared to in-town shopping.

My current ice fishing clothing came from Marks Works Warehouse in North Bay about 3 years ago (bottom of the hill by Canadian Tire)

Heavy Parka, matching bib pants, Three fingered lined hydro mitts and -150 pack boots. Never ever been cold wearing this stuff. All very reasonably priced and if I remember the parka was on sale.

They used to carry a lot of cold weather clothing I've never seen down here in the city but not sure now with the recent store changes.

Andrew and Chad........ Nipissing is only closed for walleye and yellow perch. Lake is still open for bass, pike, musky, etc. until Nov. 31st.

Sleepjigging, If you are going to fish up here in November, I would target bass, pike, or walleye. Lakes like Nosbonsing and Tallon are good options if you are bringing a boat.

Plenty of lakes that will offer good fish, as for shopping malls...not so much.

Like Fang mentioned, I also bough a real good insulated rain suite at Mark's Work Warehouse. Might want to check them out for sure!