New Tire Syndrome

Rod Caster

It looked so "do-able" though, didn't it!! lol

laugh.gif yup. Who knew muskeg offered little to no traction, eh??

I bought some wheel grips the other day...still considering a winch, farm jack and/or block and tackle. For now, it's dry land only until my muscles fully recover.

It can happen to anyone. I got my old ZR2 Blazer stuck. It had 4x4, locking diff, 33" tires, 16" ground clearance. I was on a trail I had just been on a week before. It was spring, and someone with much bigger tires had gone through the trail and just ripped it up, leaving 2' deep ruts. Well, I saw them and tried to ride outside of them but on a turn I got sucked into the ruts, and was sitting on front and rear differentials. I had absolutely nothing with me, it was late on a Sunday, and who woulda thought that there aren't any off-road towing companies in the golden horseshoe? Luckily this trail is just on the outskirts of the city and I was only 500m off a main road. I eventually called my mechanic, who came out the next day while I was at work and got it unstuck and back to the garage and cleaned up. Luckily the only thing that needed replacing was a mud covered serpentine belt!

With that said, these are the things that I will never go off-road without.

1. 60" Hi-Lift jack and base (can be used for lifting or pulling)

2. 10,000lb tow strap

3. Receiver/Shackle combo + extra shackles

4. 100' / 8000lb Synthetic Winch cable

5. 20,000lb snatch block

6. shovel