what you look for in a fly reel

slightlyhuman

Hi, new to fly fishing, wondering what the experienced guys look for in a fly reel when shopping for a new one.

saw this one, my jaw dropped, but i assume if i could find it online (which i cant) it'd be out of my price range, and as if i'd need something like that being a newbie!

543355_10151201871302838_400060557_n.jpg

but please let me know what makes a good fly fishing reel, no matter what your skill level.

Thanks!

The first step in selecting a fly reel is figuring out what you are using it for. In fly fishing the reel is not nearly as important as the rod and line.

If it is for small trout and bass for example its merely a line holder and need not be expensive.

If you are going after larger game fish like steelhead then the reel should ideally be large arbour to help reel in line faster and have a good drag system to help fight the fish.

That reel in your picture is from Patagonia and is likely expensive

Edited by torco

The first step in selecting a fly reel is figuring out what you are using it for. In fly fishing the reel is not nearly as important as the rod and line.

If it is for small trout and bass for example its merely a line holder and need not be expensive.

If you are going after larger game fish like steelhead then the reel should ideally be large arbour to help reel in line faster and have a good drag system to help fight the fish.

Yep!!That's from what I'm reading and learning.

Dormisch-Absi R2 reel ,

Heres a little info on it ,

Line weights:4/5/6

Reel weight:3.88oz./110g

Drag:Click & pawl style

Material:Hard anodized, CNC-machined, aerospace grade aluminum alloys

6061T6 and 7075T6

*can be switched from left, to right hand operation

Price: $365 US

Extra Spool: $175 US

I believe its discontinued

Dormisch-Absi R2 reel ,

Heres a little info on it ,

Line weights:4/5/6

Reel weight:3.88oz./110g

Drag:Click & pawl style

Material:Hard anodized, CNC-machined, aerospace grade aluminum alloys

6061T6 and 7075T6

*can be switched from left, to right hand operation

Price: $365 US

Extra Spool: $175 US

Wiser,that might be a bit out of his price range. I would love that and I can't afford it lol.:(

I believe its discontinued

he said he couldnt find any info on it , i just posted some info on it that is all

look at Maybe an Okuma SLV cheap and pretty bullet proof , that was my first fly reel

if you go on ebay and type in the weight of fly reel you would like you'll have about 5000 choices from $6 - $6000

what do you plan to fish for?

if trout and bass just get a cheap and simple click pawl drag and spend the savings on quality fly line

if you plan to go after salmon, steelhead, pike then spend a bit more and get a disc drag

virtually all manufacturers make entry level reels...okuma makes a decent reel for the money