Spinnerbait. Need some advice

hotsky

I have a few in a tackle box, seems like everyone is using them but I'm still yet to catch anything on them, not even a bite! :dunno: I've tried using them enough that I think it might be my technique. I usually retrieve them as I would a spinner, keeping the blade spinning but this way they don't stay too low. I've tried changing speeds as well but still nothing.

I was hoping to get some tips on effective presentation/retrieval of spinner baits that work for pike and bass esp this time of the year.

Spinnerbaits is what I started fishing with. Noticed that the cheaper spinners are not always that great. Case in point, went fishing with a buddy who was an avid fisherman (and got me hooked). He was using Spinnerbaits made by Blue Fox - Vibrax line - he had firetiger. I had a spinnerbait that I had bought as a package of 5 - about the same size/colour. He caught all day...I got nothing. We went to the same spot later, this time both have the same lures...and the competition was on - landed about 40 SM Bass that day between the 2 of us.

Next experience was with my cousin. I had the Blue Fox Vibrax (which was now my go to lure) and he was thowing cranks. I was catching, and he was not. I gave him another spinnerbait (silver/blue/red - a vibrax) and he started to catch, but not like the firetiger I was using. To test, we swapped rods - I stopped catching...and he started - we tried that for about 15 minutes...and then told him to give me my rod back...hahahahahahaha.

So colour is important. The other thing I have found is blade size. I usually throw a 4 or 5. If they made a bigger one..I would throw that too.

I have since moved on other stuff (cranks/jigs/etc.) but always keep a spinner for when nothing is happening, or I get to spot that I have never fished. It is still one of my go to lures...just wanted to learn/try other stuff.

Hmmmm. I can't imagine using a sbait for just one situation or one water temp. I burn them over 20-30 FOW, then slow-roll them just above the bottom in the same water, pitch them like a jig into openinings in pads, and fish them vertically down dropoffs and the ends of submerged trees. I love a small-frame, heavy (3/4 oz) sbait for smallies.

Lots of good info appreciate it! :thumbsup_anim: I'll make sure to re-read the thread when I head down to pick up a few more. I'm guessing 3/8+ for pike and smaller 1/4-1/2 oz for bass?

I started with spoons and they have worked well for me (most of the time) also had a decent results with spinners, lately I been using cranks a lot and again they worked quite well for me as well. I always try spinerbaits when fishing is going slow but like I said they never turned my luck around, maybe that's because there were no fish around, I don't know. :dunno: If I'm fishing shallow (river) water twist tails have been productive for bass, after I got my inflatable and started trolling crankbaits and spinners have been my go to lures. Yet to get skunked when I take my boat, but now that it's cold I don't think I'll be using it till next year.

It was mentioned that they work better in warmer weather. Any point stocking up now planning on using them this fall/winter or should I wait till spring?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Lots of good info appreciate it! :thumbsup_anim: I'll make sure to re-read the thread when I head down to pick up a few more. I'm guessing 3/8+ for pike and smaller 1/4-1/2 oz for bass?

I started with spoons and they have worked well for me (most of the time) also had a decent results with spinners, lately I been using cranks a lot and again they worked quite well for me as well. I always try spinerbaits when fishing is going slow but like I said they never turned my luck around, maybe that's because there were no fish around, I don't know. :dunno: If I'm fishing shallow (river) water twist tails have been productive for bass, after I got my inflatable and started trolling crankbaits and spinners have been my go to lures. Yet to get skunked when I take my boat, but now that it's cold I don't think I'll be using it till next year.

It was mentioned that they work better in warmer weather. Any point stocking up now planning on using them this fall/winter or should I wait till spring?

I like half ounce and one ounce for bass/pike and walleye, but lighter ones work well too. (usually river fishing, so there is current. Too light and the current just pulls the spinner off my targets)

They work very well in cold water too, but it will be slower. You'll notice strikes from really active fish, then it might just die right off. Time to switch up or move on when the water is cold. Bass and walleye will destroy spinnerbaits right til the end of November in my experience. But at that time I'm only river fishing, so take that into account. I've never fished a spinnerbait in the lake in mid november, so I can't really offer advice dunno.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

Once water temps get below 60, I don't throw a sbait nearly as much. If it's sunny, and there are flats close to deep water, I will try one out to see if the bass have moved back into the shallows. I am just as likely to throw a lipless crank in those conditions, as I always have one tied on when the water gets cooler. The lipless crank is just as good at covering water and has caught me waaaay more big fish in cooler temps.