US Boaters may appeal $3000 fine in Canada

Billy Bob

The newspaper story says they were instructed to wait, but went ashore anyway. That was followed by "an ensuing confrontation."

This is no different than any other border crossing. If you don't follow the customs agent's instructions, you're going to have trouble. They didn't follow the instructions, and they got in trouble.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I should feel sorry for these folks.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

whine all they want. canada is a different country. they did not follow the rules.

The newspaper story says they were instructed to wait, but went ashore anyway. That was followed by "an ensuing confrontation."

This is no different than any other border crossing. If you don't follow the customs agent's instructions, you're going to have trouble. They didn't follow the instructions, and they got in trouble.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I should feel sorry for these folks.

exactly.

"After calling back, Hook and Daniel were told they could not be issued an arrival number, but a boat would be coming out to meet them. After waiting for a few minutes, they went ashore and were ordered to return to their boats."

"wait in your boat".....doesn't sound overly confusing :dunno:

Edited by Stoty

exactly.

"After calling back, Hook and Daniel were told they could not be issued an arrival number, but a boat would be coming out to meet them. After waiting for a few minutes, they went ashore and were ordered to return to their boats."

"wait in your boat".....doesn't sound overly confusing :dunno:

So WELCOME TO CANADA......Please don't come and spend your money.... :whistling:

You can be certain these folks will never waste their time or MONEY in Canada again.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Billy Bob

So WELCOME TO CANADA......Please don't come and spend your money.... :whistling:

You can be certain these folks will never waste their time or MONEY in Canada again.. :rolleyes:

Billy Bob ..... what if it were the other way around? If two Canadians came to Lewiston or Buffalo or anywhere else in the States, were instructed by the Customs agent to wait in their boat, but came ashore regardless and were subsequently fined ..... would you feel the same way? Would you say WELCOME TO AMERICA, please keep your tourist dollars at home?

Probably not, I would guess.

Realistically, if a person disregards instructions by a border agent they are inviting trouble, regardless what country they are from or what country they are visiting.

Am I wrong?

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

billy bob. i live on a border crossing and a watyerway.l.s.c.. folks were fore warned after last years rulings. implementation of border crossings,passports nexus are all influenced from homeland securitys. the rules apply both ways. its not about tourist dollars. this is canada not mexico.

Billy Bob ..... what if it were the other way around? If two Canadians came to Lewiston or Buffalo or anywhere else in the States, were instructed by the Customs agent to wait in their boat, but came ashore regardless and were subsequently fined ..... would you feel the same way? Would you say WELCOME TO AMERICA, please keep your tourist dollars at home?

Probably not, I would guess.

Realistically, if a person disregards instructions by a border agent they are inviting trouble, regardless what country they are from or what country they are visiting.

Am I wrong?

I do see exactly what your saying and not completely disagreeing....However, there was confusion and a policy change that they were not aware of......but by making life miserable is not the way to extend a Happy Welcome....I know if I was them, I would never return or spend another dollar in Canada....I'm guessing it wasn't that bad to arrest them but rather just FINE $$$$$ them....BTW we get HUNDREDS jumping our southern boarder daily and none are ever fined.

Ok...next time I cross the border, and a guy tells me to stay in my car...yet I go and meet him and get the "rubber glove" treatment....

I'll call foul.

If anything... the US should know the importance of border security....they didnt follow the rules, plain and simple. Not too hard to grasp.