There are no fish in Scugog

keram

Took the boat to the lake to find some crappies. Theoretically I was very well prepared ;) , so I’ve tried to apply this knowledge ( learned from the OFNrs :rolleyes: ), but nada, not even a sniff. I’ve found few (theoretically ) perfect spots, where the Mother Nature has created very welcome surroundings for crappies, but they’ve decided to be late for dinner . No, I was not totally skunked, but if I remember correctly (OFC lesson ) 2 LMBs and 1 walleye (pickerel) does not count at this time of the year . I was glad I could release them at boat side in the water. Water temperature on the surface was 53°F. So that was the fishing. In case of boating, completely different story. The only small setback was last 2 km ( dirt road ) :w00t: to boat launch on the tip of the island. It took 15 min to pass this stretch, in most places 5 km/h was almost too fast.

Then :w00t::thumbsup_anim: , I’m alone. No boats on the land or water. Slight breeze and sun for 4 hrs

Life is good

med_gallery_186_32_20990.jpg

Due to very limited cooperation from fish, I’ve decided to seriously :whistling: test my new gadget.

med_gallery_186_32_44655.jpg

Yup, you got it right it is hydrofoil on 9.9 HP motor :w00t: . I did not expect much from this piece of plastic ( it must be special one due to the cost ), but I was pleasantly surprised.

The boat was more stable, bow little bit lower, and I crack my top speed record by 10%, :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Don’t laugh ; it went from 25 km/hr to 27.5 km/hr.

Also it comes to my mind that this can be used as a step if you decide to board the boat in unconventional way. :D

Edited by keram

I have fins on my OB too and like the performance, although I haven't seen many 9.9's with them. Glad you like.

Too bad about the lack of crappie. I haven't fished Scugog, but if it's like the other Kawartha Lakes have been the last couple of years, the crappie bite will be on in another week or 2, maybe a little longer with the cold snap we got.

I have found that hitting the small bays in shallower water has paid dividends. Water temp 3-5 degrees higher than the main lake is what to look for.

i hear a man, took the canoe out to the tip of the island, went straight out into a few small bays and got nothing. I did see some carp spawning though. Started to get a bit windy so went back after about an hour. The road to the boat launch did seem real bad, but I've seen it a lot worst!

The road to the boat launch did seem real bad, but I've seen it a lot worst!
. You are right it is not big deal for car or tuck alone, but with the boat on the trailer I've had a problem to keep them on the ground :unsure:

Those hydrofoils are great. I had one on a 40 h.p. and although I didn't gain or lose speed it killed the porpoising

problem that I was having a hard time with. Watch it on your first high speed turn though, the boat will not lean over into a turn like it did before due to the hydrofoil. It will make the turn in a much flatter attitude which makes it

feel and handle a lot different. Just takes some getting used to. Only other issue I had was they tend to grab a lot of weeds when you are using your electric motor in the heavy stuff. Easy fix though just tilt 'er up a bit.

Hookset

I put one of them on my 25 and it made a world of difference. It planed much better making the bottom of the boat take the brunt of the waves instead of the stern.

Just ask Davis how his boat rides.

As for the fishing,oh well theres always the next time.I havent wet a line yet,but am having fun just speeding around the bay.

I was on on Saturday on Scugog. Wanted to fish where I launched but you know the fishing is always better on the other side of the lake. Only counted 2 other boats on the water. You must have hit the same spots i did. Not a fish in sight. Well, other than a pumpkin seed. Went back to where i launched the boat and there were a couple of guys from shore just killing them. Their day $0 gas + 2 hours = 50 fish. My day $40 gas + 8 hours + frostbite = 1 pumpkin seed.

I think next time I will leave the boat at home.

i hear a man, took the canoe out to the tip of the island, went straight out into a few small bays and got nothing. I did see some carp spawning though. Started to get a bit windy so went back after about an hour. The road to the boat launch did seem real bad, but I've seen it a lot worst!

I think I saw you out there; 1 person small canoe with electric ?? fishing the bay and marshy area across from the launch?

Entropy