Water in gear oil

mike rousseau

After 30 years of owning a boat, I've never changed my bottom end oil without it being a little "milky". Never has it caused me a problem.

After 2 seasons of draining milky oil I brought the boat in for a change of seal kit and its been draining dark used oil color ever since.No it won't cause a problem unless the lower unit has too much water in it and it freezes over the winter,expands and cracks it open.

Leak tests only take a few minutes. Well worth the effort.

Hey, are you really going to fish 150 hours before end of the season. What's that, 2 months. 75 hours a month. That's almost 20 hours a week. Busy guy! :Gonefishing:

3 months left of season.... At least 12 hours a week.... So 48 hours a month... 144 hours... Minimum....

If you have water in the oil and you let it set it will separate out and give you the illusion it is o.k. Any oil that is milky has water in it. If your boat is not exposed to freezing conditions then the only thing that will happen is corrosion but unless it is stored in a heated space up North I would have it pressure tested/fixed as suggested.

Art