NF-Looking for asbestos testing lab

Fish4Eyes

My cousin is renovating his house and I have concerns regarding some of the materials used in the house. All I was able to find was asbestos renovation companies that send out the sample to be tested. I don't really want to pay for a middle man to send a sample to a lab, nor do I trust them as they could easily say it has asbestos just so they can do the work. Does anybody know of a lab that strictly does testing in the Hamilton or surrounding area where I can take a sample to get tested? The material of concern is vinyl floor, linoleum tile and plaster used for walls. House was built about 60-70 years ago. The "middle man" place says they want $50 per sample and for the flooring they have to analyse the adhesive used and the flooring material itself, which is 2 separate tests for each type of floor.

A company I used to work for used these guys all the time.

Fast and inexpensive for the most part.

http://www.actlabs.com/

edit - I'm not sure if they do asbestos, but we used to request some pretty gnarly materials testing from them.

Thanks for the prompt response. Those guys want 150$ per sample. From what I have read they only pay like 20$ in the US :wallbash:

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Try Paracel Labs. Maybe a bit cheaper. If you want to legally clear and or confirm the building from aesbestos content call environmental solutions in hamilton. Not cheap, but legally binding. You collect the samples yourself and it won't satisfy an insurance company, lawyer or buyer.

If the floor tiles are VCT (Vinyl Composite tile) and Measure 9x9", you can be almost sure they will contain asbestos. However they are only considered Type 1... removal is simple..... spray with water while removing to prevent any fibers from becoming airborne. If the tiles are 12x12" they more then likely will not contain asbestos, but to be safe use the same method... spray down with water while removing them...

These tiles will be ok left alone and pose no threat until you try and remove them (Disturb them)

As for the Plaster.... even todays new plasters are considered Type 1.... a simple dust mask and a light spray is all you will need...

I see no real concern here.

(I have my Asbestos removal ticket)

Look up the different types of removal for certain types of asbestos. Type 1,2 and 3

G.

Hey Gerritt

Does all vermiculite contain asbestos??

I was at a home show and they said some does and some does'nt

Some houses have this for insulation

The short answer is no. It depends on the source of the vermiculite itself...the vermiculite that *may* contain asbestos orginated from a mine in Libby Montana and was sold as "Zonolite" in Canada. Other asbestos free sources may have also been used such as from South Africa.

More info. BTW, to the original poster Pinchin can test your samples for asbestos.

http://www.pinchin.com/homeowners/zai-vermiculite

Not sure how serious you want to be about this project.

I was accussed of disturbing Asbestos on a job. The site is well known for having Asbestos.

Long story short; The only place capable at that time of checking out the samples of all forms of asbestos, was in Windsor.

Job was shutdown and the Ministry of Labour was informed. I'm educated in this department, but not certified in any way. They were talking $50,000 personal fines,etc.

Sample came back negative for even the most common forms of asbestos.

So, I would be questioning the lab you are are using.

Just my opinion.

Gerrit gives good advice, you can sample the plaster but that only tells you about that small area other portions around the house may contain asbestos. I believe it is best to take proper percautions for yourself, quality masks/respirators, spray down and good ventilation and you should be ok. Its all about keeping it from getting airborne, most vermiculite insulation is actually ok but some that came from a particular mine does contain asbestos. It is generally ok if it is not disturbed, I have seen tests from the same attic where some areas were fine and others had asbestos.

I used Pinchin, the lab that Wallacio has put up a link for to test the vermiculite in my attic. They were very professional, helpful and turned the test around in a few days as promised. The test came back negative so to the other poster I can confirm from experience that not all vermiculite contains asbestos.

Edited by SylvanOwner