muskie tackle help.

peter23

hi guys i have fishing muskie for about 2 years now and just had a quick question. i have a st croix premier muskie rod, its an 8 foot heavy action rod and it is faily thick. i have it paired up with what is supposted to be the smoothest and best reel on the market; the shimanho calcutta 400 TE. i find that when i am pulling in double 10's and other baits it feels like i am reeling in a rock, it is so hard to reel in, is this normal? the reel is silky smooth when nothing is tied on but when pulling baits its so hard. could the stiffness of the rod have anything to do with this? maybe a lighter rod would make things pull easier? the calcutta 400te is an excellent reel and not sure if i should be having this proble. so maybe its the rod? any suggestions?

thanks.

Peter.

Edited by muskiemainiac

Its not the rod... Big Bucktails pull hard, just the way it is. Do you point the rod directly at your bait when pulling it in? It makes reeling for hours much much easier. There are Reels available that pull in bigger baits with less drag, but they generally have a lower gear ratio. ( Abu Revo Winch)

Do you have a big power handle on the 400? that would make things a bit easier as well....

hi guys i have fishing muskie for about 2 years now and just had a quick question. i have a st croix premier muskie rod, its an 8 foot heavy action rod and it is faily thick. i have it paired up with what is supposted to be the smoothest and best reel on the market; the shimanho calcutta 400 TE. i find that when i am pulling in double 10's and other baits it feels like i am reeling in a rock, it is so hard to reel in, is this normal? the reel is silky smooth when nothing is tied on but when pulling baits its so hard. could the stiffness of the rod have anything to do with this? maybe a lighter rod would make things pull easier? the calcutta 400te is an excellent reel and not sure if i should be having this proble. so maybe its the rod? any suggestions?

thanks.

Peter.

The 400te is the reel I use for double 10s. Just make sure you also point the rod at the bait. Revo toro winch, shimano tranx have lower gear ratios and will be easier to bring

In double 10s.

Edited by Mattk

Like Lew said the Abu BG 7000 is great its a large reel but awesome for double 10's and picking up slack when using bull dogs.

I have two one I bought 7 years ago when I first started fishing musky it was great but the new ones are a lot better they have a offset drag and power handle which is awesome.

Yes I did take Lew's word on them 7 years ago and have not been dissipated in my purchase.