Well, Restoule was pretty much a waste

Dave Bailey

Got some good info from a board member (unless he pipes up I won't mention who in case someone decides my lack of success was his fault - it probably wasn't), but had just about zero luck. Winds were nearly always too high for comfortable solo canoeing, and the motor on the inflatable was acting up so that was a no-go. More on that in a separate thread. Got over to Hazel Lake, had a good size largemouth grab on to my Scum Frog, about 1.5 to 2lbs, but spat the hook just as I got it to the canoe. I think I'll give up on chucking a frog over pads because the chances of landing one are incredibly slim. The fish first gets a mouthful of pads which act as a very effective buffer between its mouth and the hooks, the chances of getting a good set are just about nil. Happened again a few minutes later.

Got some more info from a fellow OFCer who was across the road from our site (again, no names unless he volunteers) about a good spot for some rainbows and bass. Drove there and found the bass spot, landed quite a few rock bass, one was the largest I have ever seen, one pike about 18", and a few smallmouth. No rainbows to be found, but it's probably my technique (or rather my lack of technique).

Biggest downer of the week was having my son's tackle box stolen from the boat on Tuesday night. There were two tackle boxes and four rods in it, the only thing they took was my son's, which also had a waterproof pouch attached containing maps of the lake and suggestions for fishing spots. If anyone tries to sell you a 3-tray Plano with a full complement of tackle, let me know, there is some very identifiable stuff in there.

Obviously, no fish pics. :wallbash:

The birding was pretty good, I have to contact the park naturalist and let them know they can add a few species to their list. The Ranger Point Trail is a very nice one, short but very interesting side trails down to Stormy Lake, with some good lookout areas.

Dave, I'm sorry to hear about the bust fishing-wise, but even more sorry about the deadbeats that would take a tacklebox.

To paraphrase John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, "It would have been worth them doing it, I could have caught them doing it...":whistling:

sorry to hear things did not go well. In all my years of staying in the park I have never had anything stolen out of my boat and I leave most of my stuff in it. I know the fishing can be tough in late summer and I have only been up there a couple times and never had the same sucess as I do in Mid july. Did you get a chance to do the tower trail?

Nah, didn't do the tower trail. Monica has a kneecap that's been wired together, and my daughter has a tendon issue on one foot, so strenuous hiking is not really in the cards. And personally, while the view from the top may be great, I am more impressed canoeing past the cliff and looking up at it in all its splendour, it really is a magnificent sight. Can't really see it from on top of it! :P

I was there a few weeks ago. Did great for bass, a few small pike and musky. Lakes were rough for the most of the trip. I left my boat fully loaded and the terrova mounted for the taking. Luckily no one took anything, sucks that they Stole your tackle box. They are tough lakes if your new to them. I had a better year last year.

I was there for the first time earlier in the beginning of August on the long weekend. Fishing was pretty limited due to the weather (thunderstorms/sporadic rain most of the time) and the fact that it was 3 of us fishing out of a canoe. We actually got caught out on Stormy when a system came through and we were stranded for almost an hour, not long before sunset :(. Didn't give Restoule Lake a try, but will have to redeem myself next time I'm up there.

Sorry man. I was the guy that gave the info that didn't work out. Sounds like weather played a big role. Did you end making it to the places that I had mentioned?

Not your fault, or the others who chimed in with what was probably great advice. Hardly got anywhere, my messed up right shoulder (old old old injury) is getting too old for solo canoeing in gusty winds, and the outboard troubles kept the Zodiac on shore. Did get a fairly nice paddle to Hazel lake, but as I said above, that didn't exactly work out either. If anyone can tell me how to get a hookset when a bass has a mouthful of water lilies, I might listen. :P

Hey Dave - sorry things didn't pan out. The spot I mentioned was loooong paddle - its 10 mins with a 50 hp if you avoid the shoals, We just got back today. Nothng fantastic, but got a few nice ones. I think G may have something on that later. Like a few have mentioned - many lakes take a few times to figure out. I got more this time than last time, even with a couple fronts blowing through.

As for the canoe I took mine too as a just in case we got to some back lakes (didnt). I noticed there was almost always a strong wind blowing down the lake. You really need a motor of some sort there if you want to explore the lake at all