Summer bass fishing timing

ra95

I kind of kept track of this.

The biggest bass (over 6lbs) i caught were surprisingly always in last week of August, first week of September between 9am to 11am. This happened 4 times over 25 yrs. in Kawarthas.

The walleye/pickerel were first thing at dawn.

For me, being in my canoe means dawn. The winds are light or non-existent so you can easily paddle, and you don't have to worry about getting back in the dark. Plus if you want to do some photography it's impossible to beat morning light for beauty. And the fishing is great!

Well, it's great IF you're in the right spot AND you know what you're doing. Which means that for me the fishing is usually NOT great. :whistling:

Out of habit, and the fact that it's so peaceful, I always try to get out at first light. Given the choice between dawn and dusk, though, I would take dusk every time.

Like the others have said, you can get good fish pretty much any time of the day, even on bluebird days....

A few years ago before I really got back into fishing, the biggest bass I caught all year was in the middle of summer, 1pm on a VERY hot day (it was over 40 degrees). I was sweating just standing there up to my knees in the water. Then I had some old guy driving by stop his truck and tell me I was going to get cancer because I was standing knee deep in the moira river haha.