Rainy River BASS Report

manitoubass2

Well the fair is in town, and the kiddos went to spend the weekend with their grandparents! So I knew fishing was in order this weekend!

After hitting some garage sales with the girlfriend, and getting a great new portable tackle bag for free, I dicided to head out early sunday morning.

I woke around 8am (felt awesome to sleep in for once!!!), I went out onto the deck with a cup of joe, went and looked at the water and checked things out. Turns out the water and weather were absolutely perfect! Overcast, warm with a slight cool breeze, water levels were low but stable, and clarity had finally improved. I looked at my favorite shore fishing spot and got encouraged, one more cup of coffee and time to head out!

I made it by about 9am, got things set up and started casting. It only took about 4 casts before I st the hook on a real good bass! Unfortunately, after a lengthy battle in the rapids, she bested me 10ft from shore, booo.

Thats ok though, cause after that I started putting on a clinic. Every move I decided to make landed me a good fish (for the most part). Man, what a fun style of fishing! Spinning set up to fish the rapids, making precise casts to targets like submerged rocks. Even the shakers put up good fights!

I fished 4" swimbaits, Berkley Chigger craws, 1/4oz jigs with smoke/silver grubs, topwaters(no bites), grass pigs etc and everything was getting bit. Water temps were 67 and I was fishing about 4FOW to 12" of water. Even pulled out two little walleye about 10" a piece.

Fished for 3 hours and landed about 30 fish in all. Highlight of the day was a local bass pro pre fishing for the Intl Falls bass tourny. He went through the rapids, then set up and trolled the US side for about ten minutes. I didnt see him get bit. Then he trolls up as close as he can, and yells at me. "HEY, what are you doing?" As he watched me reel in 3-4 good fish. I reply" I'm fishing!" lol. He kindly sticks me the middle finger, and his partner gets the trolling motor up and thy speed off! I'm laughing the whole time thinking, aren't you the professional? Figure it out lol.

Anyhow, it was a great few hours fishing, I had a blast!

Edited by manitoubass2

sounds like you had a blast. Gotta love that guy at the end, hahaha gave me a good laugh. :)

I laughed pretty good as well. It's even more funny, cause it seems to happen every year. Sometimes it's not too funny though. I had one pair tryin to talk to me 2 years ago, they anchored in the rapids wallbash.gif. Luckiliy I had a phone on me, $70 grand down the drain. Both guys were out safe and sound though.

Got to love it Rick, when you can choose a spot and put on a clinic from your own back yard B):thumbsup_anim::clapping: Awesome :Gonefishing: dude B)

Yep, love every minute of it TJ! Thousands of great lakes to fish at any time, but have a great fishery 200 yards from the house. I'm always thankful for that!!!! thumbsup_anim.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

We went out again today for an hour and a half. Got 10, but missed 7-8 good bites yet again. It was alot of fun! I'll add the pics here shortly to make up for yesterdays post!

The first little shaker! Some of them were crazy small

aug20002.jpg

An even smaller one! You can't even lip these guys, lol. Looks like we had a strong year for bass spawning, these little guys are everywhere!

aug20004.jpg

Awww! So cute! bwahahahaHAHA

aug20003.jpg

No real big ones today, but there was some decent bites. And man o man are these fun to fight in the rapids! They wrap around rocks, jump 3-4 times, they just go absolutely bonkers! I love it

aug20006.jpg

aug20007.jpg

aug20009.jpg

aug20010.jpg

aug20008.jpg

aug20012.jpg

Hope this kinda makes up for the report without pics. Next will hopefully be lakers!

Edited by manitoubass2