A Morning On The River

Mike Pike

I left the Hammer nice and early this morning to get to the river just before sun up. In less than an hour I was wading in the Grand with a vest full of baits( knowing I’d only be using my jigs lol ).

As the sky began to lighten, I found the fish were jumping, literally. It wasn’t long before I hooked into one and brought it to the net.

Bass1.jpg

Bass2.jpg

And now a word on trout nets. Has anyone else used these in river situations for Bass? Because I’ve find them absolutely great for Smallie fishing in the Grand. They’re big enough for most river Smallies and the soft mess keeps the fish from harming themselves. Also, having them rest in the net( and in the water )while unhooking them and getting your camera ready, etc. is ideal. And they take off like a bullet when released.

As the morning wore on, the mist begins to burn off.

River.jpg

Looking up stream, I was pleasantly surprised by this deer in the river. Sorry, no telephoto lens on my little Canon. You really gotta look for it. lol

Deer.jpg

Then, this fella came by to occupy a rock near me. Amazing how little fear heron have when they’re in their element. He kept me company for about a half hour.

Heron1.jpg

The fish kept coming, including this one about 15 or 16 inches. Every fish hit a ton this morning, clearing the water repeatedly. It was as much fun as I could imagine.

Bass3.jpg

I ended up with around nine or ten fish by the time I left at 10am, with about an equal amount that I missed when they jumped or just plain spit the hook.

Critter count was up this morning, too. Besides the deer and heron, I also saw two weasel-bodied animals playing on the opposite bank. I dunno if they were mink, fisher or marten, but they were fun to watch between bites.

Great to have these wild areas so close to our urban doorstep!

Heron2.jpg

Wow, that is amazing. Just up on the Grand? What time did you get there? What were you using?

Great pics, and that must have been a beautiful morning.

Real early Brad, about 5:45am. What I find is you have a good bite just before light and for about 3 hours. Then it slows and pretty near stops. Bait of choice was a 1/8 ounce jig and Berkely Gulp twister tail grub. They're soft, full of scent and one grub lasts fish after fish. Just retrieve it with some speed over the matted weeds you'll find a lot of this time of year.

I agree .. early morning ( start when its still dark out ) is the best time .

Unfortunately for me .. I,m stuck in a rut , fishing in some , lets say undesireable areas threse days , as i can,t afford to keep my car on the road at the moment . I ride my bicycle or take a bus . ( sure would be nice if the busses started running at 3 or 4 in the morning ) And .. The busses don,t go to some of the places i like to go on the weekends iether .

Anywho .. its 4:46 am , gonna makesome coffee and think about headin out for an early mornin fish .

I agree .. early morning ( start when its still dark out ) is the best time .

Unfortunately for me .. I,m stuck in a rut , fishing in some , lets say undesireable areas threse days , as i can,t afford to keep my car on the road at the moment . I ride my bicycle or take a bus . ( sure would be nice if the busses started running at 3 or 4 in the morning ) And .. The busses don,t go to some of the places i like to go on the weekends iether .

Anywho .. its 4:46 am , gonna makesome coffee and think about headin out for an early mornin fish .

Goodluck largemouth. At least you don't have to travel far to get to the Grand since it runs right through your town.

Hi Oliver. A friendly heads up. Apps Mill is not on the Grand. Apps Mill is near Whitemans Creek. The Grand River Conservation Authority has imposed a voluntary fishing ban in the area of Apps Mill (and the entire waterway) and they are asking fishermen/fisherpeople to refrain from fishing in Whitemans Creek due to extremely low water levels and higher than normal temps. If it is smallmouth you are after, the Grand would be a better choice. I had my kids out in the Grand for some wet wading on Friday afternoon and we had a blast. We caught a number of good smallmouth bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Real early Brad, about 5:45am. What I find is you have a good bite just before light and for about 3 hours. Then it slows and pretty near stops. Bait of choice was a 1/8 ounce jig and Berkely Gulp twister tail grub. They're soft, full of scent and one grub lasts fish after fish. Just retrieve it with some speed over the matted weeds you'll find a lot of this time of year.

Nice. I'm heading up there about that time on Monday morning. Thanks for the info of the lure, as well. I'm always into learning something new.